Clear Channel

www.clearchannel.com
There are newer employer reviews for Clear Channel

You're expected to work long hours for very low pay, zero recognition, and bargain basement benefits

Former Employee - Marketing/Communications Department in New York, NY
Former Employee - Marketing/Communications Department in New York, NY

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You sometimes meet celebrities, but they usually end up smoking pot and drinking beer in your bathroom. The office building in NY is okay, but don't expect to get any help from the security desk if you lose your office key. You get free bagels on Fridays, but they leave them out all day long so they end up being infested by fruit flies (and beware the five hour-old cream cheese).

Cons

The managers don't know what they're doing. They watch when you leave at the end of the day, and they reprimand you if you leave five minutes before your scheduled time even though you don't clock in/out and even if you arrive at work hours before you're supposed to be there.

The managers bring in their dogs to run around the office, which I find to be very unprofessional. I don't want a gross old dog jumping up on me, especially at work.

Co-workers enjoy "telling on" you for ridiculous things -- I told a co-worker that I was unable to attend a non-work-related function because I had a prior commitment (I was teaching a yoga class). The function was actually just a club opening in Brooklyn, where the club was owned by the son of Clear Channel's CEO. I didn't think I had to go to this, as it had nothing to do with work. Cut to several weeks later: my manager reprimanded me for not attending, and she pointedly stated to me that I had the nerve to, instead, "go to yoga class." So my co-worker ratted me out (regarding what I do in my time off) and my manager reprimanded me for doing something on my time off other than attending a non-work-related club opening. Truly preposterous.

If you want to work in a "Mean Girls" environment, this is the place for you. If you don't mind being told that you cannot badmouth Rush Limbaugh (who works for the company), this is the place for you. If you don't mind anti-semitic comments being made by your manager, then this is the place for you. If you don't mind having ZERO medical benefits, then this is the place for you.

I singlehandedly raised readership of the employee newsletter by 60% and, in return, was told by my manager that the rise in readership was solely due to "familiarity." If you work here, you will never get any recognition for your work unless you are in the "cool crowd."

When my manager said she didn't like my writing, I asked her to clarify. I referred to the materials I'd written in the last month, asking what she thought about those, and her response was, "I haven't read those yet."

I quit my job here -- I would rather have no job than work in this toxic environment.

Radio is a dying business so don't waste your time taking a job here.

Check out what's going on in the Marketing/Communications department. It's just full of a bunch of power-hungry bullies who sit around on their butts talking about "the good old days at Six Flags."

441 Other Employee Reviews for Clear Channel (View Most Recent)

Promotions Director

Former Employee - Radio Promotion Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Radio Promotion Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job has its moments of fun. You get to meet famous people occasionally and take a picture to post to Facebook. There are perks of free tickets to events also.

Cons

In the radio business these days there is not much opportunity for advancement. There is definitely not much room to grow in Austin.

Training at every level

Fun environment. Not much room for creativity or allowed to think outside the box.

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people, great perks, room to move up in some departments

Cons

Overworked, long hours, management does not realize all the hard work that some teams do, not allowed to be as creative as possible (held "inside the box"). Don't expect a raise.

Pay more attention to what lower totem pole employees are doing. They put in a lot of hard work that usually goes unnoticed.

There are newer employer reviews for Clear Channel