Clear Channel
www.clearchannel.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

You're expected to work long hours for very low pay, zero recognition, and bargain basement benefits

Marketing/Communications Department (Former Employee)
New York, NY

ProsYou sometimes meet celebrities, but they usually end up smoking pot and drinking beer in your bathroom. The office building in NY is okay, but don't expect to get any help from the security desk if you lose your office key. You get free bagels on Fridays, but they leave them out all day long so they end up being infested by fruit flies (and beware the five hour-old cream cheese).

ConsThe managers don't know what they're doing. They watch when you leave at the end of the day, and they reprimand you if you leave five minutes before your scheduled time even though you don't clock in/out and even if you arrive at work hours before you're supposed to be there.

The managers bring in their dogs to run around the office, which I find to be very unprofessional. I don't want a gross old dog jumping up on me, especially at work.

Co-workers enjoy "telling on" you for ridiculous things -- I told a co-worker that I was unable to attend a non-work-related function because I had a prior commitment (I was teaching a yoga class). The function was actually just a club opening in Brooklyn, where the club was owned by the son of Clear Channel's CEO. I didn't think I had to go to this, as it had nothing to do with work. Cut to several weeks later: my manager reprimanded me for not attending, and she pointedly stated to me that I had the nerve to, instead, "go to yoga class." So my co-worker ratted me out (regarding what I do in my time off) and my manager reprimanded me for doing something on my time off other than attending a non-work-related club opening. Truly preposterous.

If you want to work in a "Mean Girls" environment, this is the place for you. If you don't mind being told that you cannot badmouth Rush Limbaugh (who works for the company), this is the place for you. If you don't mind anti-semitic comments being made by your manager, then this is the place for you. If you don't mind having ZERO medical benefits, then this is the place for you.

I singlehandedly raised readership of the employee newsletter by 60% and, in return, was told by my manager that the rise in readership was solely due to "familiarity." If you work here, you will never get any recognition for your work unless you are in the "cool crowd."

When my manager said she didn't like my writing, I asked her to clarify. I referred to the materials I'd written in the last month, asking what she thought about those, and her response was, "I haven't read those yet."

I quit my job here -- I would rather have no job than work in this toxic environment.

Radio is a dying business so don't waste your time taking a job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out what's going on in the Marketing/Communications department. It's just full of a bunch of power-hungry bullies who sit around on their butts talking about "the good old days at Six Flags."

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Excellent Training, high income potential Cons: Very stressful environment, must be very efficient with your time. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Welcome to the Titanic

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Loyal and hard working coworkers and local management, nice office/studio space, free… Cons: Crippling debt from private equity sale has caused everything to go down hill in the last few years. No pay increases since 2008. … Advice to Senior Management: Invest in your employees. Restore local and live talent to better connect with your audience. Our stations are on auto pilot most of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Clear Channel.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clear Channel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman. All reviews posted anonymously by Clear Channel employees.