Cleveland Clinic

www.clevelandclinic.org

Cleveland Clinic

Current Employee - Quality Management Coordinator  in  Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Quality Management Coordinator in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Many opportunities for increasing knowledge base and advancing career in health care.

Cons

Not for profit hence mininmal opportunities to increase salary.

More departments should offer more flexibility with schedule.

Other reviews for Cleveland Clinic

Avoid At All Costs!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cleveland, OH

Pros

One of the few employers in the Cleveland area that is hiring a lot of people.

Cons

Rigid and unflexible employer, too much bureaucracy, little training, no work/life balance, hardly any pto, employees treated like cogs in a giant machine, rather than human beings, dress code that's stuck in the 1950's

I was thrilled to get a job with the Clinic after hearing what a wonderful place it is to work. After working there however, I found out that's nothing more than PR hype. Truly the Clinic was the worst employer I've ever had.

To start with, I was mislead about the job I was hired for. I was told that my work hours would be different than they actually were. I wasn't informed until 3 weeks after being hired that I would need a driver's licence and vehicle to perform the job (I don't drive). Their lauded benefits consisted of a limited amount of PTO that's supposed to cover vacation, sick days, personal time, AND holidays. Yes, that's right. You don't get paid for holidays UNLESS you save some of your PTO time for them. In all the years I've been employed, I have NEVER worked for a company that expects employees to save PTO for holidays. Holidays were always paid regardless if you had PTO saved up or not. You also can't use any PTO during your probation period, so if you have a day off due to a holiday during that time, you just don't get paid for it.

Attendance policies are designed to discourage employees from using any PTO. Attendance operates on a points basis. Hourly employees earn a disciplinary attendance point every single time they clock in more than 7 minutes early, or leave more than 7 minutes late. Never mind if your boss kept you late because of an impromptu meeting, or dumped a pile of work on your desk 5 minutes before your shift ends. If you stayed late because of either of those things, you would still earn an attendance point. And if you call in sick, even with a doctor's note, you earn an attendance point as well. Too many points, and you get fired with no recourse.

The lauded health insurance plans were only marginally cheaper and better than what my husband's employer, a much smaller organization than the Clinic, offers. You can also only use the Clinic's insurance at the Clinic's facilities - not at UH, Metro, etc.

On top of all that, I felt like I had traveled through a time warp, and was employed in 1952, not 2012. The department I worked in had the most absolutely absurd, outdated, incredibly rigid set of rules and regulations I've ever experienced in my work career. The layers and layers of bureacracy and paperwork one had to go through to perform even the simplest job duties were astounding. Administrative staff such as myself were given no leeway to get their work done without consulting with senior staff.

The dress code was downright ridiculous. The director of the department forbid employees to wear short sleeved shirts or tops to work. Yes, we had to work a long sleeved top or a long sleeved jacket/blazer every single day, even during the hottest days of the summer, when the air conditioning was barely working. I would sit there red faced, literally dripping sweat, but I couldn't take off my jacket, because God forbid, my arms would be exposed in my dressy short sleeved top. I felt like I was working in Saudi Arabia, not the U.S., with that dress code.

Management and most of my coworkers were petty, cliquish, spiteful, and micromanaged everything. Peformance reviews were based on opinions of coworkers, NOT on anything management actually witnessed. Management would give poor reviews if an employee refused to bad mouth his or or her coworkers and report back to the boss about everything and anything coworkers did. I was literally yelled at by my supervisor for refusing to bad mouth another employee to her.

I left my job with the Clinic after just a few months, because I was physically getting ill from the extreme amount of baseless stress I was subjected to every single day. I would NOT recommend the Clinic as an employer to anyone. – less

great experience and a good place to be

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Good work culture and lots to learrn

Cons

slow growth, since we have a lot of experienced people

none

There are newer employer reviews for Cleveland Clinic.

Worked for Cleveland Clinic? Contribute to the Community!