Cliffs Natural Resources

www.cliffsnaturalresources.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Cliffs Natural Resources

The pay is the only reason people are happy

Current Employee - Mining Operator in Silver Bay, MN
Current Employee - Mining Operator in Silver Bay, MN

I have been working at Cliffs Natural Resources

Pros

Pay and benefits package is by far the best around. On paper, the work force is treated well. Monthly bonus program and profit sharing help a bunch.

Cons

Management has unreal expectations of crews. I believe that maintenance crews need to really FIX problems rather than put band aids on. Management system is messed up. Can be as many managers as operators, many of which have a real disconnect with those getting dirty.

Advice to Management

Continue to run programs such as gainshare and quarterly profit sharing. Do NOT change the benefit package. Must learn to promote from within in a more proper manner. Must learn to watch the activities of Section Managers more closely. Their disconnect to what happens day to day is definitely apparent.

reviews filtered by
  1. I like working for Cliffs

Current Employee - Process Technician in Fermont, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Fermont, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Cliffs Natural Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, Acoomodations are very comfortables and the food is good quality

Cons

FIFO, I miss my family

2. They will tell you anything

Current Employee - Power Engineer in Wabush, NL (Canada)
    Current Employee - Power Engineer in Wabush, NL (Canada)

I have been working at Cliffs Natural Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They got me here on the promise of a company house, said would be given three choices and then could move my family up with me after 3 month probation period. Well after 3 months it turned out there was only 1 house to pick, and it was awful and needed a substantial amount of money to make livable. No one wanted to deal with the issue and I found the caring HR staff that was willing to do anything to get me to move here suddenly wanted nothing to do with me.

Cons

Too many to list really, safety there is a joke, constant battle with the managers and planners to actually take action on critical issues. The have the mentality that as long as 1 person is willing to do the job that they never have to change it to make it safer for other employees. HR is extremely difficult to contact sometimes going on weeks of leaving messages and phone calls with nothing back. This is a dead end position for someone interested in getting there next class tickets, the company does not want you to better yourself they want you right where they put you.

Advice to Management

Get it together, start treating the people that work for you with some respect. Take a hard look at some of your HR reps. Fix some of the safety issues before someone gets killed.