There are newer employer reviews for Closet World

A job I love, a company to be proud of.

Current Employee - Executive Senior Designer in Whittier, CA
Current Employee - Executive Senior Designer in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Closet World full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unlike many other jobs, if you work hard and produce sales, you are treated well and given many opportunities for growth/promotion. No cold calling, all leads are company provided; no cost for supplies, catalogs, etc. Commission only pay is great: you are in charge of how much money you can make. Highly motivating management.

Cons

Sometimes we are a bit behind on style trends; but it's not a bad thing to be a stable, traditional, dependable product.

Advice to Management

Keep up to speed with style trends; not with fads, but with true styles. Continue to seek feedback from designers in the field...but no whining from designers, they need to state facts only!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Finally found a job I actually love

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at Closet World full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can schedule my own time----I've got 2 small kids. I am a people person and want to do something different. Steady money once you get up and going but best part is monthly bonus check.

Cons

The clients who just can't make up their minds. And the paperwork

Advice to Management

Bring back the trip to Hawaii contests. Get more feedback from your employees. Too long on hold.

Low compensation for too much stress and work.

Former Employee - "designer" in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - "designer" in Oakland, CA

I worked at Closet World

Pros

Closet World offers a very flexible schedule and extra cash in your pocket...but only if you already have steady income.

Cons

I went into Closet World naive and bright-eyed. I thought I had found a job that was professional and accommodating of my artistic abilities. Boy was I wrong! I always had a great relationship with my manager, which I thought was a good sign, and everything showing the product was tidy and neat. But then I started realizing that money was not coming in. I was being given one client a day (if I was lucky!) when I had been promised 2 or 3. I would spend hours in the car to get to and from the client (no compensation for gas or toll), and then spent several hours at the clients home supposedly designing them a beautiful closet. In fact, we had been trained to push push push the client into a sale of a cheap product. "Don't give them all the fancy things they say the want, just do simple simple simple." Everything was marked higher than any of our competitors, and then we were taught to "mark down" the price to seem like we were doing the client a favor-- giving them the more "expensive" product for less. I was unsure of this but kept plugging away because I wasn't making enough sales on a no-base and roughly 6% commission on average sales of $1200. The managers always complained that if you follow the sales pitch, you get the sale. They also wanted you to do anything to get the sale, including dropping the price as much as possible. If you dropped the price to get the sale, they would slash your commission down to 2-4%. Every designer I spoke to at meetings was in the same boat as me: low sales and lower commission. On average, I was making $250 every two weeks. I was here maybe six months? And the reason I finally left (no money making aside) was that I started receiving angry phone calls from about 80% of my past clients. Every client had had issues with the product being shoddy or the installation team being late or doing poor quality work. When I would refer them back to the customer service department they would be treated just as poorly as their experience with installation. I did not like feeling like I had represented a cheap product, but I also hated feeling like I had misrepresented the quality to the customer. Without knowing it. So I quit. And when I went to drop off my sales kit, I stood in the customer service department waiting to fill out my leaving paperwork for 20 minutes and heard 10 complaint calls. Thats bad business!

Advice to Management

-Base pay+commission+repayment of tolls -New installation department and customer service training -Drop beginning product price -Better organization of client to designer radius