CoStar Group

www.costar.com
There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

Enjoyable working environment but wasn't sure if I continue to meet the ambiguous standards

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

breakfast every morning with granola, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice, milk, and snacks throughout the day. you're triwheeling with three monitors. Metro Stipend. Good 401K and match. Just acquired LoopNet so there's room to move to that part of the company. Great paid training process. Great young corporate culture. Nights at the Nationals Games for free with a food voucher and metro card. Segway and Bikes you can utilize during the work day to go to lunch or ride around town after work. You make your own breaks for the most part and you gotta start somewhere. This isn't the worst position and you learn a TON about CRE which should always be an important global market. You also get access to the product at work as long as you're an employee and you can get bonuses if you make referrals and they stay on for 6 months and you hit your metrics each quarter.

Cons

You have so many different people watching your every move. Constantly changing and shifting priorities/ad hoc projects and you still have to keep your portfolio up to standard, and write market reports if you want to advance up the RA chain to management. Milk, Milk, Milk that lower level cow for all she's worth. That's what you are when you start. OT is allocated gingerly. It really depends on what is going on in a given year.

don't pretend like you're motivating me with a mass email. Take the time to get to know who your workers are with genuine conversations. Nobody wants to be just another cog in the wheel. treat people with the same respect you're expecting. Have less ambiguity. If you were more loyal to some of your workers and put some time into them, you could unload serious potential and discover how to develop a meaningful relationship with your employees and clients alike.

342 Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group (View Most Recent)

Could not wait to leave - a mistake from day one

Former Employee - ____ _____ Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - ____ _____ Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology, beautiful headquarters, and hard-to-beat medical benefits

Cons

Company culture centers on paranoia and upper management is blindly devoted to the CEO and SVP. Small wonder that external executives usually last months, not years, on the job.

There is a lot of work to be done to properly align performance and incentives. Sadly, the company has never learned that the results they get will always be what they incentivize, not what they think researchers "should" do.

There is very little that is transferable from the research job to working anywhere else. You learn some useful terminology and concepts about the CRE industry, but your responsibilities and goals change so frequently it's hard to have real, quantifiable impact.

Stop being so paranoid! Auditing elevator usage? Really?!

Can I get my 7 years back?

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable and regular normal basic salary (bonus used to be a pro), they offer employee mental health services free (trust me, you'll need it after a few years there), decent health and dental benefits (not the best, but better than a lot of places). I got my own toll free phone number (yes, that's actually a highlight, they are light on everything else). I'm in an office outside DC, so we don't get the Segway's, fresh fruit, yoga classes, etc.... We used to get 100% match on the 401k, but they cut it down to 50% (they said due to the bad economy, while mentioning a sentence later how they had $200 million cash sitting idle in the bank, and not to worry too much)...

Cons

When I first started, I figured this was an employer who was different in a good way and I worked hard as a result, little did I know what I was about to get into. About 6 months after my hire date, I started seeing things that seemed wrong, management was always delaying bonuses and finding little comical reasons to keep people down. They'd change the metrics over and over, but soon I caught on to their game. I'm completely convinced (my opinion) that management takes pleasure in belittling researchers, for 7 years I listened to how they "we're trying to fix things". They have been "trying" for more than ten years (from other RA's I've talked to, way before I even started).

Keep in mind, the "positive" reviews are typically written by those outside research and/or have worked there for less than 6 months, which is most people in the HQ/DC office. A year after I started, the all too common recurrences of computer crashes, highly delayed/dropped bonus payouts, highly suspect measurements with a metrics system that takes a NASA rocket scientist with a PhD in Quantum Physics to figure out, convinced me they were not "really" trying to fix anything. This is all part of the standard operating procedure, make the researchers job as frustrating as possible so they can take the bonus money away (hence the "complex" metrics, makes it easier to create a reason for failure) and recoup the 401K match when you quit. Of course, quitting is ideal for them, since they can now save on unemployment insurance.

I realize that companies by nature are not necessarily "nice", however, there is a clear need for a change up in management. The clear "cheaters" who dump suspect to totally fabricated data are often those who are richly rewarded and those who actually try to provide customer service are often targets for managements wrath. In the "cheaters" defense, however, I can certainly understand why they "cheat" as is in many cases it is a survival mechanism, as management is abnormally fixated on genuinely meaningless metrics/numbers and judges an employees value by where they show up on a spreadsheet (preferably in the Top 10%). My favorite is the 15-20 one minute calls (excuse me, two minute calls now), it not only wastes the researchers time, but it also annoys the clients to high heaven and produces very little if any actual value of any kind.

And "filling" that spreadsheet with their "numbers" is essentially your only goal. "Success" and moving up the career ladder is basically "random selection", where the lucky have fruitful portfolios and can get away with just about anything in some cases. If you get unlucky enough to inherit a underperforming portfolio, it typically means your career is already long over before it starts. More often than not, once your in the bottom, you stay there, typically forever (at least until you make the wise decision to seek other opportunities outside research). And, obviously, the ones in unproductive portfolios tend to leave first, so the new hires typically on their first day out of training "go directly to jail, they don't pass go and collect $200!".

Their Gollum like obsession with micromanagement (more like Nanomanagement, if that's a word?) is also noteworthy, with the totally unnecessary, counterproductive, negative and threatening "big brother" atmosphere. Even when I actually made a $3,000+ bonus one quarter, I didn't feel good at all, more like a juvenile offender facing 20 years hard labor. I wanted to give my last bonus ($170+) back from three months work after their biased metrics math was applied in exchange for a slight ounce of simple basic respect (which is easy and free).

Retire....... Please............