There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

Pay not high enough for the demands placed on employees

Current Employee - Field Researcher
Current Employee - Field Researcher

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun paid training in Washington D.C.
-Not stuck behind a desk

Cons

-Management only cares about "getting the shot," regardless of any difficulties you might encounter while on location; i.e. angry property owners, personal safety issues (I once had someone try multiple entry points to break onto my vehicle with me in it).
-You're alone all day every day; that might be a pro to some people, but it wears on me.
-Pay is not really very high for the amount of work done and what is expected of you.
-Commission schedule does not take into account the region of individual researchers; not everyone works/lives in densely populated areas.

Be more open to constructive criticism and advice for change.

315 Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group (View Most Recent)

Not too bad but frustrating

Current Employee - Research Photographer  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Research Photographer in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits
    The pay isn't too bad
    Flexible managers
    Car

Cons

Managers never clear about what projects you're doing.
    You're sent all over the place without much notice, sometimes overnight.
    The job is very "quota" specific, you think you're coming in to do GIS but you are pushed to get numbers which gives you a feeling like you're a car salesmen.
    The push to get numbers effects the quality of the work and job satisfaction.
    Spend half a year looking for sales/lease buildings which kills your numbers...and income.

Take away the numbers system and focus on quality not statistics. We're the ones out there not every person can get the same results. If another researcher is in a bigger city, and I'm not, don't expect me to get the same results, it's discouraging.

Enjoyable working environment but wasn't sure if I continue to meet the ambiguous standards

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

breakfast every morning with granola, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice, milk, and snacks throughout the day. you're triwheeling with three monitors. Metro Stipend. Good 401K and match. Just acquired LoopNet so there's room to move to that part of the company. Great paid training process. Great young corporate culture. Nights at the Nationals Games for free with a food voucher and metro card. Segway and Bikes you can utilize during the work day to go to lunch or ride around town after work. You make your own breaks for the most part and you gotta start somewhere. This isn't the worst position and you learn a TON about CRE which should always be an important global market. You also get access to the product at work as long as you're an employee and you can get bonuses if you make referrals and they stay on for 6 months and you hit your metrics each quarter.

Cons

You have so many different people watching your every move. Constantly changing and shifting priorities/ad hoc projects and you still have to keep your portfolio up to standard, and write market reports if you want to advance up the RA chain to management. Milk, Milk, Milk that lower level cow for all she's worth. That's what you are when you start. OT is allocated gingerly. It really depends on what is going on in a given year.

don't pretend like you're motivating me with a mass email. Take the time to get to know who your workers are with genuine conversations. Nobody wants to be just another cog in the wheel. treat people with the same respect you're expecting. Have less ambiguity. If you were more loyal to some of your workers and put some time into them, you could unload serious potential and discover how to develop a meaningful relationship with your employees and clients alike.

There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!