CoStar Group

www.costar.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

Pay not high enough for the demands placed on employees

Current Employee - Field Researcher
Current Employee - Field Researcher

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Fun paid training in Washington D.C.
-Not stuck behind a desk

Cons

-Management only cares about "getting the shot," regardless of any difficulties you might encounter while on location; i.e. angry property owners, personal safety issues (I once had someone try multiple entry points to break onto my vehicle with me in it).
-You're alone all day every day; that might be a pro to some people, but it wears on me.
-Pay is not really very high for the amount of work done and what is expected of you.
-Commission schedule does not take into account the region of individual researchers; not everyone works/lives in densely populated areas.

Be more open to constructive criticism and advice for change.

355 Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group (View Most Recent)

Run far away!!!

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location, office design, free snacks..

Cons

Micromanagement, impossible metrics, unrealistic goals changing ever 5 minutes, shady practices, backstabbing inexperienced managers (most not all).. being great at your job is not enough for these people you've gotta be willing to kiss a lot of **** to succeed..

Stop promoting inexperienced children to managerial position--if you must, at least put standardized practices in place to hedge against their stupidity. Make training more rigorous by requiring researchers to read a book or two on CRE and test them on the info.. that will significantly improve the quality of your data..

If you are a business major, seriously, start applying elsewhere...

I have been working at CoStar Group

Pros

You get the Costar brand name
    You get to see the different roles in Real Estate, meaning, you interact with property managers, brokers, appraisers, and have the opportunity to attend meetings to see Investors talk about the current market
    Insurance is amazing-talk about dental, vision, health---you get a nice allowance or low copay
    You get to meet many recent graduates
    You get free snacks, fruits, oatmeal, and juice/milk
    Tickets to Verizon events at their corporate box and a nice metro subsidy every month
    It's a nice paycheck to keep you working and occupied out of college, but that's it

Cons

Management is young and has no idea of what's going on
    There is such a large gap between upper management and the working body, therefore, you'll almost never get promoted past Manager.
    They just recently promoted some Managers to Director after working there for maybe, I don't know, 7-10 years.
    High turnover rate
    YOU do the SAME thing after a while-researching deeds, calling same contacts, updating portfolio
    Not really a business job-it's more cold-calling and convincing people to give you information over the phone
    If you are looking for analytical work, if you are looking to get promoted quickly within the company, if you are looking for opportunities to advance your career, look elsewhere.
    If you need an immediate job, just apply, but still, apply elsewhere.

I don't even know where to start, because you guys don't even know how to help me

There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group