There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

one word: hell

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- decent location downtown
- decent gym- although the company or property management is too cheap to have towels on Mondays, the day when people actually want to work out the most
- other people to commiserate with

Cons

1. This is not a serious job. You make phone calls and pester people ALL DAY LONG. Most of the calls made are bs anyways because of this ridiculous idea that you can only get good information over the phone. They act like email doesn't even exist.

2. There is horrible communication between upper management, mid level management, and researchers. Many of the goals and information is lost in translation. Some managers tell their teams to do thing one way, and others tell their team to do it a different way. If your manager doesn't tell you something, so you don't do it because you didn't know you had to, it is your fault. You will be faulted for everything.

3. It is a dishonest company. Many clients complain about being duped into buying something that they didn't want or straight out lied to about how our product would help them. When they say that they don't want any more phone calls, they are ignored by researchers, because researchers have to get so many calls per day, that they are forced to burn bridges. And then they get reprimanded for burning bridges. Not only are clients lied to, but the employees are lied to as well. This company is full of false promises, especially when it comes to an "uncapped" bonus. I was told during recruitment that there was an uncapped quarterly bonus. Apparently that't not even true. You are told one thing about what you should work towards for an entire quarter, and then they decided to change the bonus structure AFTER the quarter ends. Now a days if your manager doesn't like you, or you aren't buddy buddy with your manager then you are screwed, bc someone decided it would be a great idea to give power and subjectivity to managers to dole out bonuses based on whatever they see fit. Management will straight out lie to get themselves out of trouble when a researcher is wronged, and they will always win; even if they are proven to lie. When it comes to competitions, they promise prizes, yet, don't hold your breath. Most people don't even participate because there is no point.

4. The company hates dissent. If you speak out against something that is unfair, wrong, or straight up stupid, then you will almost certainly be passively aggressively reprimanded. And now that managers have the "power" to dole out bonuses they way they see fit, people are even more afraid to speak out. There is a culture that people are afraid to be honest and afraid to tell managers or directors how they really feel. Well, there's a reason for that, because you will be seen differently and you will be reprimanded in a way. Even if you do gather the courage to speak out, your comments fall on deaf ears.

5. You cannot work a minute, or even a second, over 40 hours per week or you will get in trouble. You cannot even leave one minute or 30 second before 5:00 pm or you will get in trouble. You can even be docked in your quarterly bonus, if, g-d forbid you leave 30 second early or if you leave early a couple times with permission from your manager.

6. The company has a very high turn over rate and low retention rate. There is a reason for that. Just read comments 1-5. Even though the job is easier than breathing, it is more stressful than most other jobs. You might not be allowed to work at home, but your stress will follow you everywhere. The worst day of the week is not Monday morning, but Sunday night because you know that the next day you will have to go back to a place where your employers do not care about you, will not help you, and won't allow you to speak out against things that are wrong.

Don't work here. Ever. And for the people that do work here, I fell your pain. It is a means to an ends, and often a filler job until you can find something better.

Treat your employees with some respect. Don't lie to them. Don't make false promises. Enough with the two minute calls. Focus on what clients actually want.

322 Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group (View Most Recent)

CoStar is the undisputed leader in its space with a culture that encourages and rewards performance.

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Ability to have real impact on each of the industries in which CoStar operates -- notably Commercial Real Estate, but also Land for Sale and Businesses for Sale.
    2. Ability to be part of the #1 player investing in and innovating new solutions every quarter
    3. Ability to differentiate yourself through your performance and be recognized

Cons

Being part of a larger company that is spread across a number of offices in the country can present challenges. For example, communication and coordination can be more difficult. Of course, this also presents opportunities for leadership and, for those interested, geographic choices.

I Hate, Hate, Hate, HATE this job

Current Employee - Research Associate II
    Current Employee - Research Associate II

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None. Free food and a free gym isn't that enticing.

Cons

This job is -- simply put -- awful. It is not a "research" position; you are a glorified call center employee who spends your day harassing extremely busy real estate professionals to add minuscule and meaningless information to listings most of them don't want broadcast in CoStar to begin with. I have been here for two years and have worked several portfolios and two markets, and I literally do the same thing every. single. day.. Your performance is measured by how many calls you make every day -- it doesn't matter if you update 250 properties via email or raise your update percentage by 10 points in an hour, you must make a ridiculous number of two-minute "quality" calls every day because upper management thinks it's 1984 and email doesn't exist yet.

This means that requests from actual CoStar users have to be sidelined so you can spend half of your day calling morons selling tree houses and abandoned garages, when you can be doing meaningful, client-based work. Gotta get those calls in, guys!

Research -- real research -- doesn't have absurd quotas or require you to harass people who have blatantly demanded dozens of times to never be contacted again. And yes, you are required to call and pitch the benefits of CoStar to insufferable people who swear, use derogatory epithets, and won't even confirm if they're still selling a given property. You aren't allowed to note that these people are rude and non-compliant, either, because at CoStar, the narrow-minded, cult-like viewpoint is that no one hates our company and, if you brand really hard, that'll impress these contacts so much, they'll give you all the deeply personal information you want from them.

To further complicate this, all RAs are now required to call tenants all around the country to see if they're still where they allegedly were years ago. Why? Because we sent them junk mail that was returned to us, so we need to ensure those tenants are still active... so we can send them more junk mail. It's preposterous; we have an entire division of employees who drive around markets all day long taking pictures of new listings, but we need to have the RAs at headquarters harass business owners who are rightfully confused and annoyed by our calls. Again -- CoStar user requests get sidelined or rushed to take care of this, which leads clients to drop us, which leads to more work and more acquired enemies across all markets.

If that doesn't make you leave with a headache every day, consider this: You are stuck in front of three oversized monitors all day long. There are few events or meetings to attend, except for the mandatory monthly meeting where all 900 employees gather in a cramped theater to hear the executives berate our overall monthly performance and pat themselves on the back for the good work *we* do. Finally, the corporate culture is sickening. Just sickening. RAs are overworked, underpaid, and put up with a giant mountain of impossible to meet goals -- all so we can make the executives more money while we go home with table scraps. If that. The job description discusses a "bonus," but believe me, the day an RA sees a quarterly bonus will be the day astronomers announce the Earth has actually been flat this whole time.

Don't take this job. I'm still here because I need the time stamp on my résumé. But believe me, in five years, when my doctors diagnose me with brain cancer or PTSD, I will know what caused it. This job is one of the worst jobs a college-educated person can take. If you come from the public sector and want private sector experience, look elsewhere. Never has there been such a meaningless job; this job is all about making the executives more money and forgetting about everyone else's needs or wishes.

But hey, guys, there's a roof top deck and granola bars, so it can't be that bad of a place to work!

It doesn't matter. Their solution to everything is "make more calls."

There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group