CoStar Group

www.costar.com

Huge growth, great company, better if you are in Sales

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood pay and benefits, lots of vacation, new office, high end equiptment

ConsConstant change in expectations, very tall org chart, disconnect between management and employees

Advice to Senior ManagementI've been at CoStar for over 2 year, in sales. CoStar will hire inside sales people with little experience but huge potential. Outside sales requires more experience. Sales doesn't have nearly the turnover as research. In inside sales, I made about 58k my first year, and about 92k my 2nd year. Top sales people can do $200k+ after about 3-5 years. 60-70% of CoStar employees are researchers generally hired out of college. Researchers make phone calls all day and do data entry. It's great experience but the business model is not built to retain researchers. CoStar will always hire recent grads because there's an abundance and they are cheap labor. Remember the company's goal is to have the highest profit margin and that's why the stock is so valuable. My advice if you are a recent grad is get a job in research, do it for a year, make connections in sales, and switch departments. Some of our top salespeople started in research.

My advice to management, is to give cost of living increases each year. The only way you get a bump in salary is if you get promoted. We escalate our clients' contracts by CPI (inflation) every year which averages about 3%. Why not pass that along to the employees?

As a stock holder, I've seen CoStar's stock go from about $50 a share in 2011 to about $180 a share today. I've been very happy with the company's performance. The business model is genius to the credit of founder and CEO, Andy Florance. Although he doesn't have a strong approval from former employees, look past that. He's a visionary that built a business out of his basement that is practically impossible to duplicate. We have a 94% client renewal rate and we continue to grow at alarming rates and acquire companies. Being a cash rich business, with very few assets, and very predictable income stream, puts CoStar in a position for exponential growth with great opportunities for hardworking employees.

It was the best of times... it was the WORST of times

Research Associate II (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

I worked at CoStar Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Professional environment in a great location, good benefits, great co-workers. I had a hard time finding a job right out of college and I… Cons: Awful employee morale, ever changing metrics, questionable integrity, Napoleonic CEO. After my interview, I had the gut feeling that I would not like the… Advice to Senior Management: Won't waste my time offering advice because they'll never listen. And why should they care? They make tons of money and have competition… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Work here for a year at the most, then get out any way you can!

Research Associate II (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time for more than a year

Pros: CoStar is a decent place to begin your professional career, especially if you are interested in Commercial Real Estate. CoStar has name recognition (for better… Cons: Upper management is 100% disconnected from research. You are evaluated on the number of phone calls you make that last over two minutes long. This… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your researchers for once. Stop judging performance by comparing the number of two-minute phone calls made, an entirely arbitrary number. Also, most importantly, find… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on CoStar Group.

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!