CoStar Group

There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at CoStar for over 18 month as a Research Associate before transitioning into a brokerage firm. One of the core responsibilities as an RA was to interview the contacts (usually brokers) in your market. I never appreciated it while I was doing the work but having those conversations enabled me to not only learn about CRE but they taught me to be persistent in asking questions, creative in facing objections, and confident in leading conversations. Those are the skills that I've taken into my new role as a broker.
As for the company, there are a number of opportunities for RAs to grow. The company is the leader in their space and they are very good at promoting from within.

Cons

Although there are a number of opportunities the company needs to do a better job of formalizing a career path so it is more clear for each employee.

Senior management is great in identifying new opportunities (i.e. LoopNet, Apartments, PPR, etc.) that will enhance the experience for their clients. I hope they continue to look for these great compliments to their service. I will benefit as a current client.

342 Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group (View Most Recent)

It's a job.

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits. The company is growing and expanding. A dynamic industry. The product is information, and people always need information.

Cons

Work ok an RA in a level 1 portfolio is just making calls. I also dont see how the work I am doing really matters in the big picture. The company is metric oriented where the numbers are more important than the quality of the data.

Change the metrics to a much more quality focused approach not just "get 10 2min calls per day."

They don't care about their employees

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Entry-level experience. Leave as soon as possible.

Cons

They are really shady and not transparent at all. They try to make you believe there is room for growth, but there really isn't. They make arbitrary decisions all the time about your performance and their expectations. You work hard all quarter to maintain good metrics, then they tell you they arbitrarily decided to have some random metric be a cut-off and you aren't getting a bonus. You start out feeling excited and motivated about the job but that is completely compromised after a short time of putting up with their BS. Also, they play favorites SO bad, it's painfully blatant. If you aren't a suck-up trying to talk to your director about non-work-related topics all day long, you won't get far.

Also, they are really petty and treat you like children. They tell you to stay in your seat and don't socialize with others. They don't let you use your computer during your lunch break. You can't take personal phone calls without going to another floor or outside, which makes it difficult to do anything like call your bank, make a doctor's appointment, or any other everyday life task.

They don't care about hearing advice, but if they did they might acknowledge researchers as more than data-entry machines. Also, they would realize being petty really makes people hate their jobs even more than they already do. Be FLEXIBLE.

There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group