There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

It's better than no job at all

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great entry-level job for young professionals just out of college who aren't sure what they want to do down the line but want a full-time work experience. Can gain great work experience and skills. Very young work environment with decent end-of-quarter bonus payouts. State-of-the-art office building with a great roof-top terrace. Good benefits (free food, public transportation stipend, very good medical/dental insurance plans) and even better work/life balance (plethora of after-work happy hours).

Cons

Work is extremely monotonous. Metric system used doesn't reflect the company's vision for "Building lasting relationships with clients"- a researcher's performance is solely measured on number of calls made and work production units added to database. General employee mentality: Will put up with working in research at CoStar until something better comes along. There's no motivation for personal growth while being in this position.

reviews filtered by

The real CoStar

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office and furniture
    There are hundreds of people so you make friends easily.
    They return for call for employment fast and you get hired right away... pretty much because they train 20+ people every 2 weeks because that is how many people quit.

Cons

Shady!!!!!
    The company is forcing the hiring team to go on glass door, create fake accounts and add reviews.
    Whenever you hear "great place to start a career", "challenging as the company is growing so fast", or "great job opportunities" this is absolutely false.

There is no advancement to management and has not been for like 6 months. All of the new management positions are being sent only to the few people who are already managers to they can shuffle around. They do not give us (400+ researchers) even the opportunity to apply.

The company is not growing that fast anymore, the stock is proof of that, we were above $200/share and now it's around $140/share because wallstreet believes we hit our ceiling.

I personally know two people that were told that they had to create reviews so that we would not be one of the lowest rated companies on GlassDoor.

Advice to Management

Some of the managers do fight hard for their team but they do not have any real power so that should be changed.
    Stop treating college educated people like idiots by focusing on phone calls. You tell us that phone calls are not important and then we get blindsided when we have 5 calls for the day instead of 10.

This job is worse then telemarketing by far because you have to keep calling the same smart brokers every 30 days and get yelled at again.

If you are looking for a challenge and think you are a top producer, join the churn and burn culture of CoStar

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive company that relies on cutting edge technology
    competitive base salaries & benefits
    networking opportunities
    company buys perceived market competitors to ensure market dominance and career growth opportunities for staffers

Cons

The organizational function is based on acquiring and providing CRE data. The quality of the data is "garbage in / garbage out" - Markets that embrace transaction transparency are provided with a historical data base worthy of the service; whereas, markets that reward transaction confidentiality and fiduciary during due diligence are provided with outdated and inconsistent data. Research is the key component.

If you are in sales, watch the movie "Boiler Room" and picture yourself in that environment. If you still think that you are an "A" player and thrive in a metric driven environment complete with supervisors monitoring all calls and movement, good luck! Annual turnover rate for sales & research personnel exceeds 33% and sales efforts are largely dependent upon the quality of the researchers adding territory data. Although the company is publicly traded, it is run by the heavy hand of Andy Florance with senior management personnel relegated to yes man / woman status.

Advice to Management

In spite of the inordinate high turnover rate and dysfunctional interaction between departments, CoStar is publicly traded and remains a Wall Street favorite because perception is reality in business and the "street" only cares that there is a reason to invest or divest. Unfortunately, the company with incredible potential to be the industry standard, falls short as it is neither customer or employee centric but rather "Andy" centric. Until the BOD (on behalf of stockholders) decide to look behind the curtain at the reality versus the perception of the value of CoStar Group's information services and encourages continuity and employee retention efforts to MAXIMIZE stakeholder value, CoStar remains a toxic and unhealthy work environment.