CoStar Group

www.costar.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

It's better than no job at all

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Research Associate I in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great entry-level job for young professionals just out of college who aren't sure what they want to do down the line but want a full-time work experience. Can gain great work experience and skills. Very young work environment with decent end-of-quarter bonus payouts. State-of-the-art office building with a great roof-top terrace. Good benefits (free food, public transportation stipend, very good medical/dental insurance plans) and even better work/life balance (plethora of after-work happy hours).

Cons

Work is extremely monotonous. Metric system used doesn't reflect the company's vision for "Building lasting relationships with clients"- a researcher's performance is solely measured on number of calls made and work production units added to database. General employee mentality: Will put up with working in research at CoStar until something better comes along. There's no motivation for personal growth while being in this position.

355 Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group (View Most Recent)

"A good place to learn the ins and outs" --------- FALSE

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They give you a lot of free yogurt and snacks.
    The people there are usually pretty cool.
    The location is in a great location in DC
    They give you $100 for your metro transit.

Cons

Contrary to what is written on here, CoStar is NOT a good place to learn the ins and outs. CoStar teaches you how to make phone calls to people who think they are better than you, they teach you how to use their own internal software which does nothing when you move to another job, and how to look for ways to game the system. I start each morning knowing that this is a temporary job and that almost NOTHING will transfer to the next job.

If you are in the area and need a job while you job hunt then take the offer. Do not plan to stay here for more than a few months or you will be as bitter as me, and I have only been here for 3-9 months. They will hire you immediately so even if you need a job for a few weeks, the corporate training is bearable and this 2 weeks is where you learn 95% of everything you will learn here.

It makes sense that nobody that has ever left has come back to work here.

The company seems to constantly have these focus groups, committees or panel groups to help the culture. This would be a good idea if these groups actually talked to the researchers instead of spewing exactly what upper management wants to hear. These groups last a few weeks and then and "NEW" and "BETTER" group is formed to do the exact same thing, CoStar is like a stupid dog chasing its tail.

How about profit sharing. We are always told that the earnings are great, how about you share some of that with the people who have to slave on the phone 8 hours a day to get the data. If you think that 10 two-minute conversations are easy then you spend a day and see how you do.

We are disrespected, talked down to, and threatened by brokers on the phone. We are heavily metriced by our company and treated like a number. We are treated like children by our managers who do not coach or develop but tell us exactly which hoops to jump through. We are treated like idiots by friends that quit and can not understand how anyone would want to stay here.

If you removed the stupid metrics (they say it's removed but you get scolded like a child if you still do not hit them) then we would be less likely to cheat the system and add false information or do 1/3rd of our updating through websites we know are 6 months out of date. Sometimes we say we got an email from a broker just so we can say we updated their listings. It is better to put in false information than have your numbers like terrible.

The real CoStar

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great office and furniture
    There are hundreds of people so you make friends easily.
    They return for call for employment fast and you get hired right away... pretty much because they train 20+ people every 2 weeks because that is how many people quit.

Cons

Shady!!!!!
    The company is forcing the hiring team to go on glass door, create fake accounts and add reviews.
    Whenever you hear "great place to start a career", "challenging as the company is growing so fast", or "great job opportunities" this is absolutely false.

There is no advancement to management and has not been for like 6 months. All of the new management positions are being sent only to the few people who are already managers to they can shuffle around. They do not give us (400+ researchers) even the opportunity to apply.

The company is not growing that fast anymore, the stock is proof of that, we were above $200/share and now it's around $140/share because wallstreet believes we hit our ceiling.

I personally know two people that were told that they had to create reviews so that we would not be one of the lowest rated companies on GlassDoor.

Some of the managers do fight hard for their team but they do not have any real power so that should be changed.
    Stop treating college educated people like idiots by focusing on phone calls. You tell us that phone calls are not important and then we get blindsided when we have 5 calls for the day instead of 10.

This job is worse then telemarketing by far because you have to keep calling the same smart brokers every 30 days and get yelled at again.

There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group