CoStar Group

www.costar.com
  www.costar.com
There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group

I have never cried in the bathroom more than at COSTAR. I am in the bathroom writing this right now

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I made a lot of friends here.
The building is beautiful and CLEAN!!!!!

I have never been on glass door but I see why management does not encourage employees to write reviews on here.
You get so little from this job but it takes so much from you.

There are no great opportunities at this company, just a place that forces a smart educated attractive funny interesting creative girl to sit in the bathroom for 25 minutes hoping nobody will find her.

Cons

You have to be and idiot or fake to be promoted. An idiot because you want to be there longer or fake because you are just getting promoted just for something to do.

I worked my butt off for almost a year to get promoted to Research Associate II. Then the company feels so scared about glassdoor that they decide to give over 200 people that title change at once. This completely diminished all of the work that I did to get that promotion, screw you for that CoStar.

You are completely allowed to goof off, text friends, or g-chat all day. I worked my butt off and I am sitting next to someone who does not care about his job. I went to a great college and now I am coldcalling people and on the same level as some pot head who works 40% of the day, this is so FRUSTRATING because we are considered "PEERS" and there is nothing I can do about it.

This job makes you drink 3-4 times Monday-Friday.

This job is exhausting and frustrating. I wish you could give "0" stars on here.

I have cried in the bathroom almost every month since I have been here. Sometimes I cry because of something horrible said to me on the phone, sometimes because management does not understand that I am trying, but mostly because I allow myself to be stuck in this crappy place.

327 Other Employee Reviews for CoStar Group (View Most Recent)

"A good place to learn the ins and outs" --------- FALSE

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I have been working at CoStar Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They give you a lot of free yogurt and snacks.
    The people there are usually pretty cool.
    The location is in a great location in DC
    They give you $100 for your metro transit.

Cons

Contrary to what is written on here, CoStar is NOT a good place to learn the ins and outs. CoStar teaches you how to make phone calls to people who think they are better than you, they teach you how to use their own internal software which does nothing when you move to another job, and how to look for ways to game the system. I start each morning knowing that this is a temporary job and that almost NOTHING will transfer to the next job.

If you are in the area and need a job while you job hunt then take the offer. Do not plan to stay here for more than a few months or you will be as bitter as me, and I have only been here for 3-9 months. They will hire you immediately so even if you need a job for a few weeks, the corporate training is bearable and this 2 weeks is where you learn 95% of everything you will learn here.

It makes sense that nobody that has ever left has come back to work here.

The company seems to constantly have these focus groups, committees or panel groups to help the culture. This would be a good idea if these groups actually talked to the researchers instead of spewing exactly what upper management wants to hear. These groups last a few weeks and then and "NEW" and "BETTER" group is formed to do the exact same thing, CoStar is like a stupid dog chasing its tail.

How about profit sharing. We are always told that the earnings are great, how about you share some of that with the people who have to slave on the phone 8 hours a day to get the data. If you think that 10 two-minute conversations are easy then you spend a day and see how you do.

We are disrespected, talked down to, and threatened by brokers on the phone. We are heavily metriced by our company and treated like a number. We are treated like children by our managers who do not coach or develop but tell us exactly which hoops to jump through. We are treated like idiots by friends that quit and can not understand how anyone would want to stay here.

If you removed the stupid metrics (they say it's removed but you get scolded like a child if you still do not hit them) then we would be less likely to cheat the system and add false information or do 1/3rd of our updating through websites we know are 6 months out of date. Sometimes we say we got an email from a broker just so we can say we updated their listings. It is better to put in false information than have your numbers like terrible.

Don't believe the wave of recent positive reviews... this place is the WORST

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Washington, DC

I worked at CoStar Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent benefits, decent location, so-so entry level exposure to commercial real estate. no working late or on weekends

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE. Management treats the research employees terribly. The bonuses they promise never happen, and people are fired without warning or reason. The company is clearly encouraging/forcing current employees to write positive reviews. Their overall rating went from 2.1 (accurate) to 2.5 (generous) over the last few weeks. Don't believe it! No one who leaves regrets it

They'll never change so long as they have a monopoly

There are newer employer reviews for CoStar Group