There are newer employer reviews for Cobalt

Lacks career development & long-term growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt

Pros

Convenient location, good work/life balance, casual atmosphere, ability to work on large accounts with industry recognition

Cons

Lack of internal communication between departments, senior management and teams creates an environment of confusion. No clear path for career or professional development. Senior management is disconnected from teams, very much a top down management approach. Since ADP acquired Cobalt in August 2010, the health benefits, paid holidays and company culture (Seattle office) have suffered greatly.

Cobalt has grown considerably in the past 3+ years and can no longer operate as if it's still a "start up". Senior management needs to re-engage with their departments and teams to develop company-wide processes, along with clear paths for advancement and professional development.

287 Other Employee Reviews for Cobalt (View Most Recent)

Overall there were bright moments but mostly it was clouded by frustrating leadership.

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt

Pros

Casual atmosphere, relaxed schedules and good people.

Cons

Leadership unfocused, silo-ed working atmosphere, confusing directives, unclear path to advancement, bad benefits and pay that's not up to industry standards.

Enhance visibility between groups in the company, define paths to advancement with more than just HR seminars, provide clear goals and directives for the entire company that trickle down in a meaningful way to the departments.

Great place to build your professional skills

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt

Pros

For the most part, I really enjoyed my time at Cobalt. I got there as a pretty green worker in my field, and I was able to experience tremendous professional growth in a very relaxed and fun atmosphere. Additional responsibility, and some opportunity were there for the ambitious or interested workers (that was the rumor, at least). But working with some very talented and positive people was what made working there great. Had a blast, actually.

Cons

Cobalt, for me, was like the minor leagues. It's a place to refine your skills, have some great times with your teammates, but you're mostly hoping it's a temporary thing because you're never going to advance or really get paid in the minors. I felt salary containment, especially for the non-mangement roles, must have been a very strategic and top down approach. That's not a criticism as business is business and earnings are earnings, but ultimately it was a heavy "con" for the individual contributor like me. But, Cobalt did a lot to position me for my next job, were the 3+ years of stagnant/flat pay were easily erased as I found myself worth 50% than I was making when I returned to the job market. So, absolutely no regrets and I really do pull for this company to succeed.

I left just before ADP came in, so fight to keep the Cobalt culture intact and pay to keep your existing talent if you want to address the turnover issue.

There are newer employer reviews for Cobalt