There are newer employer reviews for Cobalt

Fast paced and fun environment

Current Employee - Web Design Specialist I  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Web Design Specialist I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many departments have work from home options
Departments work towards teaming together to give the client the best service
The products we work with are expanding and changing every day
Great culture, lots of opportunities to meet other departments in social settings

Cons

Can be hard to move between departments and not feel stuck
Changes and development can sometimes be in silos (not taking other departments into consideration)
Management can single out people as favorites

Keep the communication lines open

285 Other Employee Reviews for Cobalt (View Most Recent)

Fun, Challenging, Fast Paced Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been an employee with Cobalt for a long time now. With that, it goes without saying that you don't stay at a company this long unless you truly believe in their vision.

To me Cobalt is inspiring, innovating and truly on the cutting edge of technology thought leadership. I believe pretty strongly that this level of thought leadership does not come from one individual. It comes from an organization that is open minded, and really listens to their employees. It comes from brilliant people that come from all industries to rally together to put together products and services that are top of the line. I am really thankful to be a part of that.

Cons

With all of this brilliance, we are overwhelmingly short staffed. The hours are hard, there is more work that can be done by one person. We need strong qualified development and management resources that can take this company to the next level.

It is a tough market to compete in, so we need alternate ways of hiring. Push, Push, Push for resources, whatever it takes, to bring in the right people to get us through all that we have today and our future endeavors.

If you are going to career fairs and other face to face situations, take along a handful of employees and let them discuss why they love working here.

Flexible work/life balance that's priceless.

Current Employee - Web Design Specialist I
    Current Employee - Web Design Specialist I

I have been working at Cobalt full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Managers don't breathe down your neck.
    2. Very kind and friendly people to work with.
    3. Company pays up to $3,500 a year for school tuition reimbursement.
    4. Employees may work from home.
    5. Positive work environment (nobody puts you down)
    6. A LOT of vacation time per year.

Cons

1. Some micromanaging exists in the sense that quantity is valued over quality but it's improving.
    2. The people who climb up the ladder believe everything is great the way it is. Ideas that think outside the box are only taken seriously at the executive level.
    3. Medical leave for maternity is a disorganized, bureaucratic mess that takes months to get completed correctly.
    4. Pay does not even keep up with inflation and is not competitive.

Since the company is in the tech industry, the typical assembly line way of doing business doesn't really apply in this case. Most managers could not possibly know all the things their employees know and do for the job, just like those employees could not know what the manager knows and does. This requires more work flexibility in the sense of letting people do their jobs as they best see fit, understanding that people want to do a good job for the personal fulfillment. Letting go of this control actually improves productivity and the old model creates obstacles because it diverts attention to less important matters and decreases incentives to do a better job at what really needs to be done in order to create a more profitable enterprise.

My second bit of advice is to advertise the benefits of the company and explain to employees that the lack of pay is made up for in benefits. Also, the pay needs to keep up with inflation, at least. Many employees are disgruntled and feel they are getting taken advantage of which is bad for morale and increases turnover-- two very expensive problems to have.

There are newer employer reviews for Cobalt

Worked for Cobalt? Contribute to the Community!