Cobalt

www.cobalt.com
  www.cobalt.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cobalt

Cobalt has a great culture!

Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, minimal micromanagement, decent benefits, good overall management, product development, & career development opportunities.

Cons

We've outgrown our office, the balance between the Cobalt (small corporation) and ADP (large corporation) culture.

282 Other Employee Reviews for Cobalt (View Most Recent)

Dream job

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can work from home full time or "desk-share" after a certain period of employment and with above average performance reviews. What's funny is that this was not available as a Cobalt employee until ADP aquired Cobalt 3 years ago. So those reviewers on this site trashing ADP and lauding Cobalt have it backwards, probably because they are newbies. Anyway, the Account Advocate job is a super-easy job, perhaps taking about 10-15 hours a week to perform at a base level, which is all that is expected. Keeping customers (car dealer people) satisfied and preventing or putting out minor fires. You know...general account management. You play around with websites a little and most of your time is spent putting Xs in boxes in SalesForce to show "engagement" with customers, which is grossly overstated and overemphasized. Most of your co-workers are decent people, most of whom are just collecting a paycheck or biding time while actively seeking something else. Cobalt is NOT a "cool startup" anymore as some newbies on this website have mentioned, it is a mid-sized company with big company levels of bureaucracy.

Cons

"Dream Job"...for brown nosers. Rampant favoritism, croneyism, nepotism and group-think. Promotion is based solely on azz-kissing and doing useless high-school level "projects" that add zero value. You cannot be promoted as an Account Advocate unless you are on the lame "mentor team" which is code for "azz-kissing junior high pep squad favorites club." Salary is below par and "merit" raises are miniscule and based on your pay grade. Lesser employees get better raises because they are lower on the pay scale. If you are maxed out within your pay grade, you get less of a "merit" increase because you have been a solid, loyal employee for years and have tenure, but were pigeon-holed 2 years ago when all positions were sorted into different "levels" which led to depressed morale and fueled vicious azz kissing and back stabbing to "get ahead." So the easy answer is "do what you have to do to get promoted to a higher pay grade." Ahhh yes...simple black-and-white rationale. Hence the moral dilemma. Here at Cobalt, the ones being promoted are younger people with little experience and little or no education so they compensate by "playing the game"...pretty common in our society, but really bad here at Cobalt. Really bad. It has always been that way; don't listen to other reviewers on this site that blame it on "ADP corporate bureaucracy." Cobalt always fostered and empowered sycophants. So if you are good at azz kissing and looking for an easy job where you can get a promotion or two in a short period of time, then I would say "YES, apply today!" I don't even want to take the time to review the pathetic Account Advocate "Services Managers" (middle managers). Most are less experienced and less educated than the people they supervise. And they are indeed supervisors, not managers, as they are babysitting micromanagers that waste your time and quash your enthusiasm. Like myself, all of the quality people have left the company over the years and only the slugs remain. One more thing...you also punch an online time clock. No kidding. 2.5 years ago we went from being salaried "digital marketing consultants/professionals" to hourly workers. That has been awesome for morale. And yes...there was an all-out offensive in the fall of 2013 for managers and employees to go to this website and give a review. It looks like it worked, as the overall scores have been skewed by the newbies or long term azz kissers. That's OK, it's just the way of the "social media" and "online ratings" world we live in, so if you're looking for work right now "let the buyer beware." I could go on but I won't. I have moved on to a much better position with a major company that truly appreciates my talent, experience and potential. Hopefully my review was helpful to some readers that are in that awful position of looking for work. Or if you want to dismiss my review as the "disgruntled former employee", that's OK too.

This is an ironically funny part of this review because Cobalt management doesn't listen to advice unless it comes from one of the sycophant smiley-face middle managers or low level scared sheeple. Every year the company gets honest feedback on the ADP annual surveys and every year they refuse to "listen" and instead engage in making excuses, witch-hunting or laughable superficial "improvement" initiatives. 5 middle managers were recently let go or demoted because it was determined that low morale continuously being voiced in surveys by the underlings would not be tolerated. Those 5 managers were easily singled out because the "anonymous" surveys were not so anonymous because the results are broken down by individual teams. Ouch.

Good Company with Room to Improve and Grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Company is offering more desk-sharing and work-from-home options to accommodate their employees.
    Awesome team-oriented culture. Co-workers are happy to share tribal knowledge and work together. Low cube walls make it easy to talk shop or strike up a conversation with your co-workers.
    Very stable due to ADP acquisition. This enables the company to try some things with its product offerings and business decisions.
    Emphasis from management on career-pathing and growth within the company.
    Thorough training and ramp-up process. You never feel like you're being thrown in with the sharks. The company goes to great lengths to make you familiar with the company, its culture, history, and your role in it.
    Working with smart people in a competitive industry.

Cons

Somewhat political. Promotions are often given to employees who are the most visible, rather than the most qualified. There's lot of room for lateral and cross-team movement, however, so solid employees often find opportunities on other teams.
    Constant issues with back-end tools can make doing your job more difficult than it needs to be. Serious disconnect between devs and client-facing employees.
    The ADP acquisition brought with it a ton of big-company bureaucracy. The background check process can take upwards of two months and ADP's reputation ushered in a lot of CYA box-checking. That said, it helps to have well-documented notes when issues pop up (and the will), so maybe they know what they're doing.

Keep up the good work, but listen to what your employees are saying about you.

There are newer employer reviews for Cobalt