There are newer employer reviews for Cobalt

Cobalt has a great culture!

Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, minimal micromanagement, decent benefits, good overall management, product development, & career development opportunities.

Cons

We've outgrown our office, the balance between the Cobalt (small corporation) and ADP (large corporation) culture.

reviews filtered by

Not a bad company, horrible management

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cobalt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Cobalt is all about working hard and playing hard. Everyone there has a great sense of humor and likes to have a good time while also collaborating and working to provide Cobalt's customers with awesome service. I have made a number of good friends at Cobalt who I spend time with outside of work. For most teams, there is a very flexible schedule and the opportunity to work from home occasionally (depending on how long you have worked full time there).

Cons

Primary Reputation Management team has very little opportunity for personal growth. The manager takes micro-management to the extreme and has no trust in her team at all. She wants things done exactly her way and has no problem telling you what you have done wrong, whether it's listening to your calls with a customer, checking your outgoing emails, etc. Expectations are not always clear and change without notice. Team moral is extremely low as a result.

Advice to Management

Reputation Management team needs some reorganization

Dream job

Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Advocate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cobalt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can work from home full time or "desk-share" after a certain period of employment and with above average performance reviews. What's funny is that this was not available as a Cobalt employee until ADP aquired Cobalt 3 years ago. So those reviewers on this site trashing ADP and lauding Cobalt have it backwards, probably because they are newbies. Anyway, the Account Advocate job is a super-easy job, perhaps taking about 10-15 hours a week to perform at a base level, which is all that is expected. Keeping customers (car dealer people) satisfied and preventing or putting out minor fires. You know...general account management. You play around with websites a little and most of your time is spent putting Xs in boxes in SalesForce to show "engagement" with customers, which is grossly overstated and overemphasized. Most of your co-workers are decent people, most of whom are just collecting a paycheck or biding time while actively seeking something else. Cobalt is NOT a "cool startup" anymore as some newbies on this website have mentioned, it is a mid-sized company with big company levels of bureaucracy.

Cons

"Dream Job"...for brown nosers. Rampant favoritism, croneyism, nepotism and group-think. Promotion is based solely on azz-kissing and doing useless high-school level "projects" that add zero value. You cannot be promoted as an Account Advocate unless you are on the lame "mentor team" which is code for "azz-kissing junior high pep squad favorites club." Salary is below par and "merit" raises are miniscule and based on your pay grade. Lesser employees get better raises because they are lower on the pay scale. If you are maxed out within your pay grade, you get less of a "merit" increase because you have been a solid, loyal employee for years and have tenure, but were pigeon-holed 2 years ago when all positions were sorted into different "levels" which led to depressed morale and fueled vicious azz kissing and back stabbing to "get ahead." So the easy answer is "do what you have to do to get promoted to a higher pay grade." Ahhh yes...simple black-and-white rationale. Hence the moral dilemma. Here at Cobalt, the ones being promoted are younger people with little experience and little or no education so they compensate by "playing the game"...pretty common in our society, but really bad here at Cobalt. Really bad. It has always been that way; don't listen to other reviewers on this site that blame it on "ADP corporate bureaucracy." Cobalt always fostered and empowered sycophants. So if you are good at azz kissing and looking for an easy job where you can get a promotion or two in a short period of time, then I would say "YES, apply today!" I don't even want to take the time to review the pathetic Account Advocate "Services Managers" (middle managers). Most are less experienced and less educated than the people they supervise. And they are indeed supervisors, not managers, as they are babysitting micromanagers that waste your time and quash your enthusiasm. Like myself, all of the quality people have left the company over the years and only the slugs remain. One more thing...you also punch an online time clock. No kidding. 2.5 years ago we went from being salaried "digital marketing consultants/professionals" to hourly workers. That has been awesome for morale. And yes...there was an all-out offensive in the fall of 2013 for managers and employees to go to this website and give a review. It looks like it worked, as the overall scores have been skewed by the newbies or long term azz kissers. That's OK, it's just the way of the "social media" and "online ratings" world we live in, so if you're looking for work right now "let the buyer beware." I could go on but I won't. I have moved on to a much better position with a major company that truly appreciates my talent, experience and potential. Hopefully my review was helpful to some readers that are in that awful position of looking for work. Or if you want to dismiss my review as the "disgruntled former employee", that's OK too.

Advice to Management

This is an ironically funny part of this review because Cobalt management doesn't listen to advice unless it comes from one of the sycophant smiley-face middle managers or low level scared sheeple. Every year the company gets honest feedback on the ADP annual surveys and every year they refuse to "listen" and instead engage in making excuses, witch-hunting or laughable superficial "improvement" initiatives. 5 middle managers were recently let go or demoted because it was determined that low morale continuously being voiced in surveys by the underlings would not be tolerated. Those 5 managers were easily singled out because the "anonymous" surveys were not so anonymous because the results are broken down by individual teams. Ouch.