Networking Bootcamp

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cogent Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With this being such a small organization we work on issues and equipment comparable positions at rival companies would never have access to. Its a great position and company to learn the ins and outs of edge networking.

Cons

The pace can be pretty brutal at times.

Advice to Management

Management overall is great. It would greatly assist workers to have a defined way to move around within the company. As it stands finding other intra-company positions can be pretty political.

Other Employee Reviews for Cogent Communications

1. A mid-sized company, that is nimble to changing to market needs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is large enough for stability, but small enough that employees at any level can affect change. The company is technology focused. I always had a sense of excitement of the network we built and supported and at the point in my career I worked for Cogent, it was my dream job.

Cons

Focus on the bottom dollar can sometimes result in losing sight of the human element of employees. At times, employees can be spread at a bit thin.

Typical Churn and burn sales team model

Former Employee - RAM I in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - RAM I in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Cogent Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

better than being on employment bridge job you essentially have 9 months to find a long term job 2 free trips to DC for sales training and also sales kickoff

Cons

Completely out of touch with the Silicon Valley Culture Classic churn and burn sales job - with the excpetion of one person the entire sales team turned over in 9 months that I worked there Base and OTE is way too low for a tech sales position in the Silicon Valley sales office was a converted auto repair shop

Advice to Management

unorthodox business model creates a bad reputation with your competitors and adding that to the bad reputation your organization has as a place to be employed (advise everyone in sales to stay away from Cogent) may one day come back to bite you.