Cognex

www.cognex.com
  www.cognex.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cognex

Professional environment, good food, nice people.

Former Employee - CMS Web Administrator in Natick, MA
Former Employee - CMS Web Administrator in Natick, MA

I worked at Cognex as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Though this was only a short contract the environment was professional and the people were friendly.
The cafeteria food was also pretty good.

Cons

For some reason my hiring manager was bothered by the Christian web site I had on my resume.

Don't discriminate against Christians.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Cognex (View Most Recent)

Fine until I find something better

I have been working at Cognex

Pros

There is lots to be done and you can own as many things as you want if you ask for them.

Cons

Culture is stifling, people are so over-loaded that no real work with meaningful progress can get done, work life balance is a joke.

Cutthroat corporate culture with arrogant middle management.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Natick, MA

I have been working at Cognex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The technology is very cool. The algorithms developed by Cognex are world class. Some very smart engineering talent works in Natick. Also, the sales force is extremely motivated, so it is a great place to learn how to effectively sell a technology product.

Company is global, so there are many opportunities to work/travel internationally.

Cons

The Cognex culture in Natick is far more corporate (back-stabbing) than you are initially led to believe. The turnover rate, especially in the sales force, is higher than at any other company I've worked for in the past 5 years. In two years, I have seen over 5 people in HR come and go, including an HR Director.

The game room, the cultural events, etc. are all tools used to help people forget how underpaid they are relative to the market.

Also, the cost of living in MA is such that the below-average pay makes it very difficult to work at Cognex and maintain a comfortable quality of life.

Recognize that you need to compensate your developing talent, or else they will take their skills elsewhere. People who have the ability to gain employment elsewhere will eventually leave if they don't feel respected by management. You can gain more through positive motivation rather than threatening people's jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Cognex