Nice for Awhile

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Coldwater Creek part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great product, flexible hours

Cons

Too much sale merchandise, promotions change too fast, customers can be nasty

Advice to Management

If you don't plan to work here long-term, it can be a good place to work part-time in a retail environment that offers some incentives for your work. But don't count on getting promoted up, because it won't happen. Just accept it for what it is, and you'll be fine. Use your job as a training experience to be able to move on to somewhere else.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

ASM role

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-PTO!!! I have 6 weeks of paid vacation - Health insurance reasonably priced - Salary with overtime - Co workers are like family. - ASM does all the hiring- so I can pick and choose who will be on our team. - We have fun- it's generally a laid back atmosphere where we chat all day. -Some customers will let you outfit, and are willing to spend money!!

Cons

-Many customers are rude, complain about not having petites in store, or prices, or the fabric, or the embellishment, or the length- too short too wide,,, too this too that.... you name it I've heard it. - Customers come in not in the mind frame of looking for a deal- they are looking for wal mart prices at a specialty store. - There is abuse the return policy. Items can be worn and returned at anytime without a receipt. -Some customers do not treat us like they would want to be treated. - Job stability seems shaky. Stores will be closing this year and going forward in at a fast pace. We have controlled our labor and have been profitable- but, our lease is up next year and we are thinking that our store might close. - My SM has negativity impacted the work place. A boss who complains and never compliments is not a role model. We have dealt with her b/c there is no other choice. CWC has an open door policy- but no one trusts that what is said to the DM or above will be handled in a professional way. - We have not had a DM for more than a year- year and a half tops. Issues with micro managing and having to resend templates or asking questions multiple times to be answered. - Inventory allocation and planning is defiantly an area of opportunity. Our assortment has improved in the last year. Replenishment is needed in full priced selling styles- yet we receive sale items in the incoming boxes. - The back room is packed with clearance merch. We have begged to transfer out to the distribution center. Some styles on hand are 6 months old. Store ops has us organize it by size- not style. which makes it very messy, and hard to do second markdowns. -Tasking is impulsive. Store ops change sales and has many product promos that is confusing to associates and customers. -Associates are under employed. They want to work, but we don't have they payroll to give them more that 12-20 hours. (that's if we are making our trend/comp) Labor is cut often, which annoys associates. - We use a lot of our smaller sizes for visual displays. That makes having size runs on hand not possible. The pins used to fit the mannequins, makes the items not able to be sold in a premium location. We end up sending them to sale-able damages to be sold at an outlet store. - Executive visits are scheduled then often canceled. -Pay increases have been frozen for many, many years. One year (I can't remember how long ago-) Dennis our founder gave millions of his own money for EVERYONE TO GET A 3% raise! That was greatly appreciated, but still a drop in the bucket to the cost of living increase. - Associates are not paid according to how much they are worth. Seasoned associates we hired low, and are getting paid less than newly hired associates. -CWC has been trying for a long time to re brand itself- yet is viewed as grandma's store or my mom's store. They want to be a jean destination- but we don't have many sizes and styles on hand. (especially in petites) -CWC wants us to be fashion/fit experts where women go to be outfitted. The problem is most customers just want to look, and have us fetch their size. -Our in store music selection is very repetitive and is pretty awful.

Advice to Management

-Adjust compensation levels of store employees start with associates- $10 an hour is fair for what we ask them to do. -We should get 50% off all year round. If you want us to represent the brand- enable us to by giving us a better discount. -Store managers should have to punch in/out like everyone else. There is no consequence for SMs bad behavior if she knows how to talk the talk. - Make a plan and stick to it.

Great people to work with but constantly changing

I have been working at Coldwater Creek full-time

Pros

The people that work here are incredibly talented and warm. It has a very great family atmosphere.

Cons

The SOP is constantly changing and there is a large disconnect due to the locations of the offices.