There are newer employer reviews for College Works Painting

Internship, more for the experience than the money

Current Employee - Intern/General Manager in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Intern/General Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at College Works Painting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's perfect for you entrepreneurs looking to build new skills. You Learn everything you need to know how to start, manage, and run a business. From sales, to production, and even the types of habits needed to be successful

Cons

Although there Is potential to make a ton of money, you start work in around early February and don't start getting paid until summer. This is because pay is comission based and you need to produce the work to get paid.

Be more direct about the pay

261 Other Employee Reviews for College Works Painting (View Most Recent)

Disappointed with my experience at CWP because of mismanagement and disorganization of Intern.

Former Employee - Painter in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Painter in Portland, OR

I worked at College Works Painting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gets work done very quickly.
    Generally nice employees.

Cons

In my experience College works painting has >10% customer satisfaction. 14/15 houses I worked on had dissatisfied customers. I left houses ashamed of my work because I received insufficient training.
    Cost home owners $1000's in damages and repairs.
    The company is willing to sacrifice quality for quick jobs.
    Clueless management.
    Pay is based on time spent on job site, if you do a job very quickly you get payed more. This leads to painters rushing through and miss detail.
    My intern failed to test for led in multiple houses before beginning scraping/sanding. This lead to painters working in hazardous conditions without protection and, in one case, the destruction of a client's property. After she tested for led two days into working we were forced offsite by the homeowner because of her carelessness. He then hired a clean up crew to come tear apart his landscaping and get every little piece of scraped paint. If OSHA had came on site and found us scraping a led site without bio-hazard suits, masks, glasses, a containment area, an eye washing station, ect. the company would be seeing several thousand dollars in fines.

Take the time to actually train your employees. I worked for two months and never saw a training video, safety video, or was fully trained on safety regulations. All of my training was through trial and error on people's houses...
    Stop paying based on efficiency. It works, in theory, but in reality it puts excessive pressure on the employees to get work done as fast as possible. In response painters are often forced to skip over details that lead to a good paint job. If you have a manger breathing down your neck the entire telling you to work faster you do it by any means. Why don't you pay based on experience? Or work quality? Give raises to people that do GOOD quick work, not just quick work.
    Hire good, organized interns that actually have painting experience. By a week in I knew more about painting than my intern. She spent her time on the lawn complaining to her painters that we were behind budget. We were behind budget because she did not accurately account for prep time/led contamination requirements, inexperience of painters, rain, or constant problems with our sprayer.

Good Experience but cheated out of money

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at College Works Painting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learn a lot about sales and recieve real world experience

Cons

The profit you make off of what you sell is extremely low.

make the profit for branch managers more.

There are newer employer reviews for College Works Painting