There are newer employer reviews for College of Southern Maryland

Developer

I worked at College of Southern Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good community college to start out your career. They provide good training sessions and it is a tightly knit environment.

Cons

Salary is really low and don't except to raise through the ranks easily. It will take a lot of time to through the ranks.

Try to keep people in the right positions and manage employees properly.

8 Other Employee Reviews for College of Southern Maryland (View Most Recent)

ok to work

I worked at College of Southern Maryland full-time

Pros

good people to work with.

Cons

really low paid, and great benefits.

3 years to long

Current Employee - Out the Door
    Current Employee - Out the Door

I have been working at College of Southern Maryland

Pros

The benefits at the college are pretty good. The environment is kinda relaxed and flexible. Depending on who you work for, taking time off isn't a big deal as long as you have leave. If you are looking for a flexible place to work, CSM is the place for you.

Cons

Where do I begin:

- Supervisors who don't know how to supervise. Guidance in a position is very rare. You have to come in willing to learn on your own.
    - To much gossip. You feel like you are in high school again. People are more concerned about your personal business than your performance. If someone was let go, nearly everyone knows within 5 minutes.
    - Hidden agendas. Warning to all new comers, do not tell your personal business when you start working here. People aren't genuinely interested. They only want to know so they can talk about you or use it against you later.
    -Significantly underpaid. First off, I'm very happy to have a job in these hard economic times, BUT, when your institution ranges up to 20% in pay difference between other colleges and universities, that's pretty bad.
    - Salaries aren't adjusted in equitable fashions. A new employee with similar job functions or even pay grade could come in at a higher salary.
    - Takes to long move up the pay scale. It can take 8-15 years to reach the minimum pay grade for positions at and below the director level.
    - Decisions are made without looking to the people who really do the work.
    - Hard work goes unnoticed. We'd rather hire external than internal. So if you are looking for a job, applied today.

There are so many things I can say, but I'll stop here for now.

Build up the employees you have now. If you invest in their growth maybe we wouldn't lose so many great people. Those who stay are here because they've either grown accustom to the atmosphere, have never been out of the Southern Maryland area, came in on a sweet deal, don't have much responsibility on the job and collecting a pay check to do nothing, using the college as a stepping stone to move on or are hopeful that they will get an opportunity to get promoted.

There are newer employer reviews for College of Southern Maryland

Worked for College of Southern Maryland? Contribute to the Community!