Colorado Department of Corrections

Very good

Current Employee - Correctional Officer I in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Correctional Officer I in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Department of Corrections

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Recession proof. Opportunities for change and growth.

Cons

Be careful. Politics within the organization is very much a factor with being looked upon by superiors if you will receive favorable status or not. Your job will be secure, as long as you don't do anything stupid; however, you need to be aware that it is very much a place where your career can be made or broken by saying or not saying the right or wrong thing.

Advice to Management

People make mistakes. This is a job that is stressful and unforgiving. As no actual laws are broken, advise and not criticize. Some of you made errors early in your career. Don’t go over-board. Talk with the officer and advise the correct coarse of action and why.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

no life!!

Former Employee - Correction Officer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Correction Officer in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado Department of Corrections

Pros

Good training and job security. Some what good leadership and they do give you uniforms. avg of 2.5 weeks of vacation time.

Cons

You have no control what shift you will work and no control over the days off. NO holidays off eer inless it just happens to fall on your day off.

Advice to Management

You have to take a test and compet with 150 other officers and only 4 or 5 advance and then if you do advance you will be back on the bottom of the list for new days off.

2. Correctional Officer

I have been working at Colorado Department of Corrections full-time

Pros

This position I have held for 10 years now has been a learning experience from day one. This department provides so many training opportunities to include positive professional communication, Training for Trainers, American Heart Association (CPR classes), Self Defense, Professionalism and Ethics. The list goes on and on. It has been exciting working with Criminals of all back grounds, and I have met a lot of really good people who care about each others safety, and well being. CDOC has given me the opportunity to be involved in many different positions, whether it was working in a cell block, or outside the fence in a guard tower, or running maintenance crews, I have done it all. I will miss the job, but more importantly I will miss the friends I have made along the way.

Cons

The job is very stressful when you know that everyone that is in prison hates you in some fashion. Some may feel it is your fault they are incarcerated, or just have no respect for law enforcement. You have to be on alert 100% of the time, and be aware of your surroundings, and in a sense, be looking over your shoulder constantly. The demand of the job requires you to see and hear things that the general public would never hear or see, and you have to try and keep those things secret from your family. Basically pretend that it does not bother you and that you are strong mentally. Sometimes it is hard when you see people hurt them selves because they are depressed.

Advice to Management

My advice is simple, keep it simple. Always do the right thing even when know one is looking and take care of your bottom line, because they are the one's that will take care of you, if you take care of them!