Columbia Distributing Company

www.coldist.com

Columbia Distributing

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

Pros

Affords flexibility while running sales route.

Cons

There is no strategic planning involved in regards to geography / demographics. Supplier dictates what products are sold into accounts with broad brush stroke.

Focus on what "moves the needle" from a strategic stand-point.

Other reviews for Columbia Distributing Company

Company is running itself down.

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, OR

Pros

Active job, usually working by yourself.

Cons

There are the common downsides with being a merchandiser - sometimes you come in to work and find out that your usual 8 hour day has been bumped up to a 10 or 12 hour day. But this company has been running itself into the ground ever since the merger. Expect 8 hours minimum, and almost never any weekends. If you're lucky your weekend will be on-call. There is almost no room for advancement - I have met some other merchandisers who have been doing the same job for 10 or more years. Once upon a time the company was more casual, but lately things have been getting increasingly uptight to the point where people are getting written up for very minor things that could've been solved with an extra 5 minutes of work.

It seems that the higher ups are starting to think Merchandisers are disposable - not realizing we're the ones out there making their product look good.

Get on the floor once in awhile. Create advancement opportunities. Treat your employees with more respect or you're going to lose a lot of them.

Columbia as a whole is a great company with lots of room for growth.

Current Employee - Wine Sales  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Wine Sales in Portland, OR

Pros

Always out and about never in one place for too long. Everyone who works here is nice and helpful. Our company is huge and there are many different aspects of the business. Great benefits and salaries.

Cons

Lots of after work events. Have to work 6 days a week. Big company sometimes means we get over looked. Lots of expectations working with all of our product.

I don't have much advice for the management. Every one who is a manager that I have met is excited about there job and do great work. Everyone really works hard and that's why they are where they are.

There are newer employer reviews for Columbia Distributing Company.

Worked for Columbia Distributing Company? Contribute to the Community!