Columbia Sportswear

There are newer employer reviews for Columbia Sportswear

Great experience working at Columbia

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pleasant Prairie, WI
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pleasant Prairie, WI

I worked at Columbia Sportswear part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Columbia offers their employees good pay, a friendly atmosphere and the management believed in abilities of employees and didn't micromanage. They also made efforts to reward employees who did well. Columbia also gives monthly bonuses if sales goals were met, which was great.

Cons

There was a lack of training by management in the stores. Not enough was provided to be able to confidently answer all customer questions without hesitation or having to go back and ask management the proper response.

More in-store training is needed.

145 Other Employee Reviews for Columbia Sportswear (View Most Recent)

Billion dollar business operates like mom and pop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Columbia Sportswear full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To put it simply, while Columbia products lack design flash, they're solidly constructed and offer great price value.

Cons

Family owns majority of shares and runs it like the small company it used to be. Completely lacking in vision for structuring the company to succeed in the future.

Recruit competent C-Level execs who aren't family or cronies.

Not a great place to work in I.T. - High turnover and massive Silo environment

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analysis in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analysis in Portland, OR

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The party on the patio during the summer can be fun and lots of activities. The gym, fitness classes and cafe are fabulous. For designers and other business people it might be an outstanding place to work just not for I.T.

Cons

The politics in I.T. are madness. The worst teams get the most training and resources but the high performers just get more work and denied training or career advancement. There is never teamwork and the strong silo environment create chaos and relatively little chance of anything ever being on time and successful. Not a great place to work if you value your skills and take pride in success.

Replace the upper and middle managers in I.T. and get managers that work well with teams and cross functional teams. Ensure that the Silos come down and make cross funtional teams have the same clear goals and passion about success. Support the business better and make better decisions about the projects and problem solving options. The top management (CEO ) is outstanding but the lover levels are just awful. Seriously consider changing your NO WORK FROM HOME POLICY on I.T. employees and others.

There are newer employer reviews for Columbia Sportswear