Columbia St. Mary's

www.columbia-stmarys.com
  www.columbia-stmarys.com
There are newer employer reviews for Columbia St. Mary's

Columbia St Mary's "Core Values" - Fact or Fiction?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Columbia St. Mary's

Pros

I you need a job and happen to be employed with one of the few good managers there. The organization is trying to improve communications, quality of care, morale, all within budget and confines of leadership currently in place.

Cons

Executive and senior leaderships inability to address the moral, ethical, hierarchical culture keeping the organization from achieving true collaborative success. The outcome of this lack of insight is a frustrated management and staff struggling with the dichotomy of constantly choosing between "doing the right thing - doing the less controversial thing", "provide solutions, ideas, out of the box thinking - be literally told to get back in your box, that's not your job, find zipping your lip and keeping your head down much easier".

Executive and senior management are very bright and very blind. Seek input those of us who have been in your service, served faithfully this community and organization, and are willing to speak candidly with you. Those who no longer work there may have insights to offer your current employees do not.

Communication, quality of care, employee moral and respect are not what you want them to be nor where they should be. Not all is being reported; patients don't bother, clinical staff aren't doing it (4 incidences in 3 months told to me, encouraged them to report) and employees don't bother anymore. Consultants don't have the insight, they are outsiders looking in.

Try contacting some of your past employees, invite them in. Talk to those that have been terminated, had their positions eliminated over the last year or so. These individuals do not have a "contract of employment" at risk when they talk with you and may provide you with some valuable feedback. Albeit you will have to hear the pain of your actions in some of this feedback no doubt, attentive listening may provide current leadership with value information to move forward with.

The above is a daunting challenge, uncomfortable yet valuable for the organization. If we do not fully understand the outcomes of our actions, we have learned nothing at all. Leadership can only understand the outcomes of their actions (did we really improve morale, communication) if they have well rounded feedback from varied sources.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Columbia St. Mary's (View Most Recent)

I have had a great time working in the lab.

Current Employee - Laboratory Assistant
    Current Employee - Laboratory Assistant

I have been working at Columbia St. Mary's full-time

Pros

Work atmosphere is great, friendly coworkers

Cons

Poor management skills especially in the lab leadership team.

Be more respectful towards linestaff.

Not what it was

I have been working at Columbia St. Mary's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great history, good quality of care for patients, wonderful facilities, solid payor mix, OB/GYN and Oncology programs are very strong coupled with Regional Burn Unit.

Cons

Senior Management Change has led to significant restructuring changes, losses of 2 hospital presidents, 2 EVPs, and many others. Used to offer more opportunities to individuals and the "core value of 'respect for the individual'" seems to have gone out the window. CSM has become more and more "corporate" with Ascension driving much of that change and individuals are not valued.

There are newer employer reviews for Columbia St. Mary's