Columbia St. Mary's

www.columbia-stmarys.com

Columbia St Mary's "Core Values" - Fact or Fiction?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI you need a job and happen to be employed with one of the few good managers there. The organization is trying to improve communications, quality of care, morale, all within budget and confines of leadership currently in place.

ConsExecutive and senior leaderships inability to address the moral, ethical, hierarchical culture keeping the organization from achieving true collaborative success. The outcome of this lack of insight is a frustrated management and staff struggling with the dichotomy of constantly choosing between "doing the right thing - doing the less controversial thing", "provide solutions, ideas, out of the box thinking - be literally told to get back in your box, that's not your job, find zipping your lip and keeping your head down much easier".

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive and senior management are very bright and very blind. Seek input those of us who have been in your service, served faithfully this community and organization, and are willing to speak candidly with you. Those who no longer work there may have insights to offer your current employees do not.

Communication, quality of care, employee moral and respect are not what you want them to be nor where they should be. Not all is being reported; patients don't bother, clinical staff aren't doing it (4 incidences in 3 months told to me, encouraged them to report) and employees don't bother anymore. Consultants don't have the insight, they are outsiders looking in.

Try contacting some of your past employees, invite them in. Talk to those that have been terminated, had their positions eliminated over the last year or so. These individuals do not have a "contract of employment" at risk when they talk with you and may provide you with some valuable feedback. Albeit you will have to hear the pain of your actions in some of this feedback no doubt, attentive listening may provide current leadership with value information to move forward with.

The above is a daunting challenge, uncomfortable yet valuable for the organization. If we do not fully understand the outcomes of our actions, we have learned nothing at all. Leadership can only understand the outcomes of their actions (did we really improve morale, communication) if they have well rounded feedback from varied sources.

I have had a great time working in the lab.

Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Columbia St. Mary's full-time

Pros: Work atmosphere is great, friendly coworkers Cons: Poor management skills especially in the lab leadership team. Advice to Senior Management: Be more respectful towards linestaff. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Not what it was

I have been working at Columbia St. Mary's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great history, good quality of care for patients, wonderful facilities, solid payor… Cons: Senior Management Change has led to significant restructuring changes, losses of 2 hospital presidents, 2 EVPs, and many others. Used to offer more opportunities to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Columbia St. Mary's.

Worked for Columbia St. Mary's? Contribute to the Community!