Lack of leadership led to wasted effort.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University

Pros

The ability to interact with other departments and physicians at a well respected Ivy League University in a fantastic City.

Cons

A lack of direction from senior leadership leads to wasted effort.

Other Reviews for Columbia University

Great benefits, byzantine bureaucracy

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University

Pros

If you are any sort of employee for Columbia, the benefits are excellent, with good medical insurance, dental coverage, vision riders, a relatively large amount of vacation time, nice 401(k) matching, and excellent educational opportunities.

Cons

Columbia has one of the ugliest bureaucracies I have ever dealt with. As an RA, I was generally isolated from that, but if you had to work in HR in the Interchurch building, I can imagine wanting to tear your hair out after a month.

The IT support could improve. They've been getting better, but it still has a ways to go.

Streamline the bureaucracy, modernize the way the CUIT operates and handles billing (charging people for Ethernet ports is counter-productive), make opt-in the default for 401(k)'s, and improve library access from off-campus.

Great potential. Can be tough to work there.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia University

Pros

Excellent potential for advancement and great facilities and resources. Top of the line network to help you reach your goals after some time there.

Cons

If you end up in a research group with a tough advisor, this can be unpleasant. Lots of red tape.

Thin the red tape. Hold Principal investigators accountable for poor treatment of team members

There are newer employer reviews for Columbia University.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!