Columbia University

www.columbia.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Columbia University

Great place to build a career

I have been working at Columbia University

Pros

Columbia is a dynamic place where I've been able to grow as a professional and in my personal life. There's great work-life balance and there are always opportunities to learn something new. For the most part, my colleagues have always been intelligent and dedicated to their work.

Cons

Staffing academics is always a challenge as management and leadership are not their core competencies. Columbia, like most old-school higher-ed organizations, operates very slowly. They have good reason for proceeding thoughtfully, but you need to be prepared to deal with a slow-moving, complex bureaucracy on a daily basis.

609 Other Employee Reviews for Columbia University (View Most Recent)

Teaching assistant in large (180+) core curriculum course.

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

While it is a standard doctoral support option to become a teaching assistant in a large undergraduate course, I found it rewarding to be on the team of 6 teaching assistants and to have close access to a world-leading faculty member.

Cons

It was frustrating at times to defer course management decisions to other TAs with little or no teaching experience, but more content knowledge.

Take advantage of doctoral candidates with significant teaching experience in managing large courses for which they TA. Even giving minimal attention to the dynamics of TA teams with members strong in content knowledge and others strong in pedagogical skills will improve student experience of large core curriculum courses.

Great Internships at the Earth Institute

Former Employee - Intern At the Earth Institute in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern At the Earth Institute in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The staff I worked with was very friendly, accommodating to students' class schedules, and had meaningful projects for interns to work on.

Cons

There weren't many cons. Some days were slow and there wasn't enough work to fill the hours, but supervisors generally worked hard to find something for you to do and you were allowed to do classwork until a project came up.

There are newer employer reviews for Columbia University