Columbus Metropolitan Library

www.cml.lib.oh.us
  www.cml.lib.oh.us
There are newer employer reviews for Columbus Metropolitan Library

Great experience, good training opportunities, decent pay

Current Employee - Technical Services Associate in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Technical Services Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Columbus Metropolitan Library part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the many training opportunities that CML has available to their employees. They have training/seminars in things like diversity, dealing with/education on poverty, equality, security awareness as well as others. The environment that I worked in was very nice. I worked at the operations center in the technical services department and its a small group of people (15-20) that you see on a daily basis and at the operations center you don't deal with the public at all. The nature of the work was ok, very "assembly line" ish. I constantly reminded myself that i was responsible for every item received and processed by the columbus metropolitan library and it at least gave me somewhat of a sense of importance, it helped a bit. Management is very approachable and generally kind, remember these people have a career with the library. Benefits available to me, as a part-timer, were great. health benefits, PTO, sick days, OPERS (retirement program) etc.

Cons

There is not one con I can really think of besides the pay being very average. No job was paid too much or too little, but coupled with the available benefits (govt job) makes the con very minimal in impact. One other thing is I felt somewhat stuck in my position. There wasn't really any opportunity to move up to a supervisory role within my department. For that reason, along with the pay and a great interest in another position i am soon leaving CML.

Keep up the great work and continue listening to your employees

7 Other Employee Reviews for Columbus Metropolitan Library (View Most Recent)

A mixture of good and bad

Former Employee - Library Page in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Library Page in Columbus, OH

I worked at Columbus Metropolitan Library

Pros

For the most part, I was not micromanaged, but was left free to do my work at my own pace. Scheduling was fairly flexible; management was fair about letting me have time off if it was needed. Job security was good. As long as we showed up to work on time and completed our duties satisfactorily, we didn't have to worry about losing our jobs--though of course, this was before the economy went sour. Things may be different now that we're mired in the Great Depression 2.0. I felt my supervisors were friendly and reasonable enough, and I was not given unfair tasks or workloads.

Cons

The pay was poor to say the least, and raises were practically nonexistent. I worked there for two years, always had good performance reviews and was considered one of the top employees at my position, yet I received virtually no raises my whole time I was there. Some mandatory or "strongly encouraged" workshops and other meetings were utterly useless for my position. A discouraging number of my colleagues were less than competent to the point of laziness and shirking work. One or two were downright abrasive. The work was also not very intellectually stimulating--smart people will be bored fairly quickly.

I know it's a non-profit organization, but you can't expect to keep employees satisfied without SOME semblance of a raise every now and then.

Very professional environment with a low-key feel

I worked at Columbus Metropolitan Library

Pros

Low key, smart people, world-class organization

Cons

Dependent upon public funds, Some politics.

There are newer employer reviews for Columbus Metropolitan Library