Column Technologies, Inc.

www.columnit.com
  www.columnit.com
There are newer employer reviews for Column Technologies, Inc.

Fast Paced

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc.

Pros

The atmosphere at Column is fast paced and requires a great deal of self-sufficiency but this also means employees have independence in their work so long as they can produce results. The senior management is also friendly and open to new ideas, although they expect their employees to perform very well. The fact that the company is relatively small and places a large amount of responsibility in the hands of their employees allowed me to see the fruits of my labor, which was fulfilling and gave me a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Column was stressful and erratic at times simply because the company is growing so quickly, however this allowed for creativity and problem solving abilities to thrive in this environment.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Column Technologies, Inc. (View Most Recent)

Incredible opportunities for growth

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc.

Pros

In my opinion, Column has one of the widest career growth opportunities. The principals of the company have an "open door" policy, which allow for an aggressive management style and a "whatever it takes" approach. HR posts all jobs internally before putting them out on external job boards. Even though Column is considered a small company, there are opportunities to transfer to other offices globally. Since I've been here I've seen people go from customer support to consulting and have also seen consultants take on various management roles.

Cons

Since the company is growing very fast, outdated processes and manual systems sometimes create stressful situations.

Continue to foster and spread your entrepreneurial spirit to the entire company to maintain vision and pace ourselves for decades to come.

Column Technologies is a highly-stressful, clique-filled organization that regularly terminates short-term employees.

Current Employee - Column Technologies - Think Carefully in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Column Technologies - Think Carefully in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc.

Pros

Column Technologies offers their employees hands-on experience with the BMC Software ITSM technology and the ITIL framework. True to their claim, Column makes a concerted effort to train their employees.

Cons

I work closely with Column Technologies manangement, and it's a dreadful experience. Our plans change almost by the day, and there's a tremendous amount of wasted time and energy keeping up with the two owners' whims. They are often in conflict, and Column Technologies suffers from their inability to address their differences.

Unfortunately, this lack of civility and respect has become part of Column Technologies' culture. At first, I thought it was limited to upper management, but I now know it regularly takes place - and is tolerated - at all levels. Boorish, inconsiderate behavior is all too often a fact of life at Column Technologies, but it's far easier to think of where I'll work after the job market improves rather than dwell on it.

I've also seen too many cases where employees worked only briefly for Column Technologies before they were laid off. Some may have been unsatisfactory performers, but it's happened so often at Column Technologies than at other employers I've worked for that I can't help but wonder. I've decided it's far better not to ask questions.

Why has Column Technologies had such success? I've concluded there are so few good alternatives to BMC Software's ITSM technology that Column Technologies is in a difficult-to-fail position. I often hear stories about major problems with BMC's implementations and upgrades, so it's likely Column Technologies is a less painful alternative.

I've quietly spoken with others at Column Technologies to see if my experience is unique, and I've learned many are biding their time until the economy improves. In the midst of a terrible downturn, I'm actually thankful to Column Technologies for a reasonably secure position, but I am looking forward to a far healthier, much less stressful work environment. If you have other options, I urge you to select them first.

There are newer employer reviews for Column Technologies, Inc.