Combined Insurance

www.combinedinsurance.com
There are newer employer reviews for Combined Insurance

run run as fast as you can!!!!

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Elmsford, NY
Current Employee - Sales Agent in Elmsford, NY

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small tiny salary for three weeks and quick cash peddeling cancer and accident insurance policies to mostly poor,and uneducated blue collar workers like at sanitation departments: most of the public does not have much use for these products. they have a deep client base that they have established over the years so the old face you can quickly hit up and sell them more products to for some fast commision cash!

Cons

old customers old face have been so beaten up with sales calls from all the combined insurance agents over the years that when you contact them they yell at you and hang up the phone or throw you out of their business! for new business it is a lot of door to door sales like aluminum siding sales from the 1950,s The best thing if you want to see what a typical work day is like here go rent the movie Tin Man starring Danny Devito! managers only care about qiuck hit them up daily sales. they micro manage and expect to be called every night before nine pm with sales results. even if there is a hurricane and power black out they still want you to call before nine they are NEUROTIC!! go watch the movie the Crazies there are the distric and territory managers!

get a life!!! stop micro managing offer a better product

194 Other Employee Reviews for Combined Insurance (View Most Recent)

STAY AWAY

Current Employee - Sales Agent in East Meadow, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in East Meadow, NY

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sales training is great if your new to the business.

Cons

Most unprofessional place I ever worked in. If you are in Nassau county NY stay away for a Territory Manager named Charles Blair. This guys is a snake and a blow hard. He thinks he knows everything about the insurance business after having his license for seven months. You can not communicate with him and he is a habitual liar. He talks down to all his agents and is very condescending. He is hated by almost every other territory manager and agent. I have know idea why the company keeps him. Try the Queens or Suffolk office I hear they are much more professional.

Hire mangers with a more professional demeanor. When multiple agents and managers complain about a manger look in to it and correct it. Don't just protect a bad manger because you want more APV.

Good for entry level professional to gain experience, bad for long term/career/financial gain.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is also a pretty good support system in place. You get your license, go to a 2 week intensive training camp, and then you spend your first 13 weeks in the field with your TM as they help you get on your feet. Then after that you're supposed to get 1 day a week in the field with your TM as long as you are an agent. If at any time you need help or are struggling, you can reach out for an olive branch and get help. Many times I called my TM, MD, or even another contact in the company for help/advice and they take you under their wing to help you reach their goals.
    One of the main reasons I'm glad I worked for Combined was the general experience and insight gained from doing door-to-door sales. It is a really great opportunity to network and meet a lot of interesting people. It also taught me the value lesson of not passing judgement on people based on appearance, living conditions, etc. There were many instances in which I encountered individuals & families that lived in dilapidated housing & trailers with trash everywhere and their visual appearance and mannerisms very unkempt. However, you still must talk to these folks and more often than not, they turn out to be some of the nicest, most hospitable (and in some cases, wealthy) people you have ever met in your life. The job really helps you gain a new perspective on things and I will forever value the experiences and people I met.

The job also allows for a significant amount of freedom. You are able (depending on the management style of your TM or MD) to set your own appointments and hours as you choose, so long as you meet your sales goals. There were many times that I didn't begin work until noon (but usually worked until 7 or 8PM), and also took days off without having to notify anyone. Note: I also had a laid back TM and great production so I had more freedom than others.
    The goal/incentive system is also pretty cool and can help you pad a resume. There are multiple incentive levels to win rings, pins and recognition with production. You can also win free trips, bonuses, etc. I won all of the awards, but I would have rather had the cash value than the hardware.

Cons

-For starters, most of the income numbers they share are fallacies. I was the #1 agent a year and I outsold all of my colleagues by a big margin, and I barely made a living. You are paid advance commissions. So when you sell a policy, you are paid half up front, 25% upon issuance of the policy, and the remaining 25% is broken into 3 payments - paid during month 10, 11, and 12 that the policy is in effect. You are also paid a 2-5% residual on the monthly payments every month thereafter. IF AND WHEN the policy is cancelled or does not get issued, you will receive a charge back to your account for any commissions paid (not pro-rated) and this is wipes out future commissions and is not taken into account when they calculate income #s. Keep in mind that this is supplemental insurance, so when money gets tight for customers, this is the very first thing that gets cut and it happens often. After 6 months I was congratulated for earning $30k and being on pace for $75k in the first year, but I had actually only totaled $17k in paychecks.
    -Territories also are not protected and neither are customers. Other agents can come by at any time and work in your area or sell to your existing contacts/customers (there have been several instances of agents rewriting policies, getting customers to cancel existing policies to sell a new one under their account)
    -Expenses are your own. You will spend tons of time driving, and the general rule of thumb is that you get 1 sale for every 5 solid appointments. There are lots of distant meetings to attend as well. You are not reimbursed for gas, meals, or anything else, save those receipts and claim it on your taxes.
    -You are also taxed at a flat rate of 20%. This was a shock for me when I was due a check for $2000 and my check came out to <$1600.
    -Your vehicle will endure substantial wear and tear. You have to be out selling if you want to make any money, regardless of holidays, weekends, weather, etc. Tons of miles. Gas will cost you upwards of $150-$200/week.
    -You will also spend an extensive amount of time on this job, and also at home. I found myself waking up at 730, getting ready and leaving at 830, first appointment/meeting at 9, last appointment at 7, home by 730, on the phone til 9, paperwork (lots of it) until 11 or 12, and then readying my outfit for the next day.
    -Leads are provided, but they are lacking. Most leads are just info on existing/former customers, and the info is usually wrong and they don’t qualify for anything.
    -Promotions are also difficult to get. You need consistently high production for 2 straight quarters (and this dries up the well). You have to drive farther to find new prospects, policies begin to drop (this affects your quality rating, and if it drops below 80% you are ineligible for promotions, incentives, and bonuses), and sales decline.
    -Making TM is even more difficult. You need to blow the doors off and set records with production, and there needs to be an opening. I made TM, but it was a nightmare. a spot opened up and I was called upon to "help out" agents to help them close sales. This kept me out of the field and my sales dropped. This continued for 2 months with the carrot constantly being dangled in front of me. I was also told I would have to relocate and would not be reimbursed. When I finally was promoted the MD made it sound like he was doing me a favor. At every turn I was reminded of this and it was as if I had to earn my keep. You get a $1000/week base salary for the first 13 weeks (then it drops to $1000/month) plus commission. You are required to field train your team of agents 3 days/week and expected to have them hit all of their goals and win awards, and you ride solo 2 days a week. It's impossible. I found myself working weekends and spending 12 hour days with my frustrated agents. Unless you have a team of crack agents, you will fail.
    -Longevity and retention is a huge problem with this company. You will be force fed these stories about people making tons of money and winning all of these awards, but those people are few and far between. THIS COMPANY WILL HIRE ANYBODY WITH A PULSE. Buyer beware! As long as you pass your insurance license test (which 70% of the time you have to pay for) you will be hired. One of my agents they hired was a 67 year old man that could barely read and mental math (as simple as 19 + 14) absolutely eluded him. Remember, this is supplemental insurance - the people that need it don't have money or benefits. Most prospects are unemployed or below the poverty line. People with money don't have a need for the products, and if you can't develop a need, they won't buy
    -OVERALL - this is a decent job if you are strapped for cash and need it quick, or if you are looking to build some initial real world experience. If you are already an experienced sales agent, I would go elsewhere with a better product portfolio where you will be more successful.

Protect Territories/customers for current producers. Provide an allowance/expense account for agents. Rework commission/payment structure. Keep lines of communication open to other agents, MDs, TMS, RMs, etc (provide contact info or have a message board.

There are newer employer reviews for Combined Insurance