There are newer employer reviews for Comcast

Was rated worst company of the year for their service....well try working there

Former Employee - HSI Support Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
Former Employee - HSI Support Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

paychecks were steady Bene's were tolerable

Cons

No room for advancement. Management was clueless and would turn a blind eye to any issues their people would show them. SLA's was a joke........if someone calls back for anything even if it's not your dept you work in your are penalized which lead to my termination. Split days off = stupid. Huge Turnover

Advice to Management

Find out what the successful companies are doing and adopt their ways. Pick your mgmt team from people with experience in a call center environment.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Challenging Work, Excellent Benefits

Former Employee - Customer Service in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Rockford, IL

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Variety in the workplace, cutting edge entertainment technology and great benefits.

Cons

Inter department communication was lacking to a degree that it was a challenge to remain on top of the daily goals. While I agree that sales are important, management puts extreme pressure on employees and they prefer temps to "regular" employees. If you can make the sales goals, they will give you the higher pay rate plus excellent benefits. There's frequent training, but they launch changes so fast that staff is often not ready to cope with providing a good product. Again, communication issues.

Advice to Management

Improve your communications with employees and between departments. Value your resources. Temps will never provide consistent, quality service to your customers.

Stressful Work for Very Limited Rewards

Current Employee - CAE/Advanced Product Group in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - CAE/Advanced Product Group in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comparably good benefits. A good learning experience (One learns to think on their feet in an extremely stressful, changing and mission critical environment.). Minimally rewarding.

Cons

Poor compensation for the tasks assigned to the employee at a CAE level (Service/Advanced Product Group). The management does not balance the needs of the business with the needs of the employee Draconian attendance policy. Unrealistic employee standards. High stress. Corrupt office politics and favoritism. Exceptionally hard to move up and out of the call center.. Negative working conditions Poor support tools. Toxic working environment.

Advice to Management

I am exceptionally lucky to have a job in this economy and by the way they treat their call center employees. I have worked for the Voorhees call center for 4+ years with very good people who are under intense pressure to succeed at, keep and maintain their jobs. FMLA is rampant because of the attendance policies put forth by Comcast leadership. They work on an "event" basis. One has to schedule "emergency situations." Or they receive an "event." What this means is, if a family member is dying in the hospital, or you are injured and cannot come to work. They give you an event; if one accumulates a certain number. They are terminated. I have seen this happen. Comcast gives an employee flextime, but once again, one has to schedule it. Often one has their request denied. The leadership's culture in my department chooses favorite employees and they get promoted rapidly and with very little effort. I've seen a woman get promoted after 6 months on the floor. While a veteran employee interviewed 30 times to move to another position. He eventually got another position, so his persistence paid off. Some employees get picked for off the phone, special assignments while others toil away in obscurity. There is pressure to succeed from in all areas some of the metrics are achievable if one applies themselves. There is a flavor of the month feeling with the metrics that are expected of a Comcast Call Center Representative. Lately it's been adherence, one has to take their lunch and breaks on time. I absolutely agree with this policy. Until leadership enforced adherence in such a way to keep employees from going to the bathroom. This practice is unacceptable. A little flexibility could go a long way. I don't believe Voorhees Leadership understands this. They often reward call center employees with carb filled special events. Granted there's a gym onsite and there are some wonderful perks like Weight Watchers and Gym Reimbursements to work off the pounds and boy do we need those perks. The scheduling or shift bids are a double edged sword. Either one takes a shift without a differential (10% raise in pay for any shift that starts after 2pm). What this amounts to, is one starts at 12pm and ends there shift at 9pm. This makes things difficult to maintain a healthy and happy work schedule. Finally, compensation! There is a great little front line bonus we get for good performance. I really enjoy that privilege. Now the bad news (here it comes). Our department does all three services, I started out doing internet support (IP support). A month later, I wanted to add to my skill set, so I volunteered to do CDV(Comcast Digital Voice) trouble shooting. Now it's mandatory, but then it was optional. After which they put us in a 2 day training course for video support. The class was slated for a week, but they kept pulling the students out of class to put them back on the phones. There is no training for billing, yet we have to do that too. Sales? Oh yes! We have to meet metrics on this too! There is no added compensation for doing all three services. While I'm pleased with the knowledge I'm picking up and the coping skills I'm learning daily. I don't think I am adequately compensated for what I do. I wouldn't mind this so much if I felt empowered to give service to our client base. However, as I alluded to before, the training and tools that Comcast Leadership provides us are sub par. The tools we use to resolve issues are rife with bugs and they are largely experimental. This situation adds up to things we can't fix; so we have no choice to escalate the issues to other departments adding to client dissatisfaction. I applaud Comcast Leadership for their desire to give the customers a "one stop shop," but it would be nice to forearm us with the tools to get the job done. In a business where it is extremely important to please our clients. There should be NO issues with the tools we use to help our clients. In an environment where one unhappy customer can get one dismissed from a very promising and frankly good company to work for. Everything has to work on both the client and CAE end I am unsure about higher level positions in my corporation, but I would be pleased if my Leadership and the Senior Leadership would recommend positive changes. I work with the best and the brightest people and more; and more every day I see them almost driven to tears, chain smoking, stress eating or out for mental health reasons. The majority of the CAE's are negative and they complain about and have conflicts with our leadership. I understand that Comcast is running a business, but there should be a proper balance between the needs of the business and the needs of the employee. One also should not be afraid to come to work. I often feel my call center is a mine field. Where small infractions could get one sent to the unemployment line.