Comcast

Think twice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Comcast

Pros

The benefits package is acceptable. Free internet and cable but you have to live in an area where it is available otherwise you lose out (no reimbursement). Stock options are a plus.

Cons

Managers and above do not know their jobs. They solicate feedback but never react to major issues. Even if you are a superstar, you will get an average or below average rating. I have more than excelled (according to others in other departments) and I still got rated average. While I am not prejudice, the only people that get promoted are women. I have had 5 managers while I was working for this company and all of them had been promoted but not one had any knowledge of their job or the product that they supported.

The last manager that I had before I resigned (abruptly) tried to give my position away to a consultant. This is the same manager that I interviewed for their position but was never asked my opinion from the interview. The same manager took work that I produced and gave it to their manager with their name on it while giving no credit to the original developer. I was lucky when the person that was offered my job came to me and explained what had happened (the consultant had worked under me at another company).

While this may not be the same treatment with all of the senior management, it is certainly the same treatment that you can expect from a good portion of them. They preach teamwork and company values yet each person is only out for themselves and only themselves.

Put the right people into the right positions. If you want to retain good talent, stop the favoritism, give credit where credit is due, and take care of the people that work hard and know their jobs. Stop promoting people who play the networking game because in the end, you will be left with nothing but a bunch of idiot butt kissers.

2532 Other Employee Reviews for Comcast (View Most Recent)

Customer Service in WPB

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Comcast

Pros

-Large company with respectable and trusted brand name
    -Company has own office building which is clean and well maintained
    -Friendly and social environment
    -Relaxed dress code
    -Company has a very comprehensive 6 week hew-hire training process
    -Frequent product and procedural trainings
    -Good benefits package

Cons

-Company does not delineate between customer service and sales departmental functions, Comcast believes they are one in the same
    -Company places a heavy emphasis on sales, including up-selling
    -Company enforces scripted language instead of allowing free dialogue from CSRs when interacting with customers
    -Promotions are OK, however interdepartmental transfer is quite limited

My criteria for whether a workplace is enjoyable or not is quite simple; is there a smile on my face when I walk through the doors each day? As a CSR [CAE] at Comcast, I would have to say no. I found the job both tedious and ill-fitting primarily because the company does not respect the differences between what Customer Service does and what Sales does. In my opinion it take a whole different sort of individual to do sales, someone who can relentlessly promote products regardless of the emotional disposition of their intended audience. A CSR/CAE is getting yelled at 85 percent of the time and so it makes very little sense to promote premium services, free or not to a hostile person. And yet your monitoring process is heavily focused on sales and whether a product was suggested or up-sold. For me and persons like myself who enjoy dealing with people and providing true solutions to customer's problems, the whole "up-selling" process seemed disingenuous, what this type of tactic infers is that no one cared about consumer complaints and issues...its all about slapping a band-aid on their complaint, giving them something free for 2 - 3 months and then charging them afterwards if [and when] the promo expires and they forget to cancel. My suggestion would be that you not be so focused on sales that you make CSRs/CAEs into part-time sales men because there are customers who do indeed call in with legitimate concerns about the services they do have or to simply complain about other failings and shortcomings and the last thing they want to hear is "would you like HBO & Showtime for 3 months?"
    Also please drop the scripting and forced apologies, almost all the times that I have spoken to customers like a real person they have appreciated it. I work for a company now where I'm allowed to speak to them like a person [still respectfully] and they love me, even the most hostile and ornery ones from New York City that scares everyone away love me because I'm allowed flexible room to maneuver around the way they speak to me and I'm not penalized, I don't get "points" taken off or written up. Comcast has this tendency to excessively punish the ones bitten by rabid dogs instead of putting down the rabid dogs themselves, as they would rather acknowledge these rabid dogs as "paying customers". I've witnessed time and time again where CSRs/CAEs have had to tolerate racial epithets, sexist and homophobic remarks thrown at them with zero managerial intervention...until the employee snaps back, and then it is the poor employee who is punished. For me, that was unacceptable and I began to look for another job at this point. I have serious moral objections to that type of behavior.
    I think it can go with out saying that the call-center is the "boot camp" for most companies and with Comcast it's no exception. However, why make it so difficult for your employees who are undoubtedly taking on the public floggings wholly intended for the higher-ups? If you are going to keep the agents tethered to the phone all the time for 8 - 9 hours a day, why not allow them a little enjoyment and distraction? Why restrict them from being able to read a book or a magazine while there? Why limit the Internet so much? I understand the potential for viral threats but even from your own entertainment websites? Why block cellphone use instead of just correcting those who abuse the system? Also lighten up on the monitoring! There is just way too much monitoring, everyone knows hindsight is 20/20, so to go over the recordings and drill into your reps about about what would've, could've and should've been said is ineffective and somewhat demoralizing. The straw that broke my back was being handed a "moment of misery" audit score because the customer became further agitated about having to wait on me to find out where her missing tech was. Simply put, I was penalized for being put on extensive hold by dispatch who was looking for a tech who failed to show for an appointment. It makes no sense to hand me the failing score, I did what was required, other departments failed and in large part the company failed. The customer was not angry at me, the customer was angry at the failings of the company, yet the only one under the microscope was me, the CSR and the fact I kept her on hold for too long, as if that could have made any difference [if I remember correctly she was on hold for 3+ minutes before i went back to her] and also my call was a "misery call" because I didn't force HBO/Starz down her throat.

It's just a JOB

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Comcast

Pros

The benefits...free cable, phone and internet.

Cons

Lack of growth potential, training those less than management and many other reasons.

Be willing to reward hard work and invest in those under management.

There are newer employer reviews for Comcast