24 years at Comerica

Current Employee - IT Manager in Auburn Hills, MI
Current Employee - IT Manager in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Comerica full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comerica generally cares about their employees. The is resistance against outsourcing. Working conditions and environments are good to excellent. The company put a lot of focus and training into improving employee behaviors.

Very low employee turnover in IT.

Cons

Process improvement has been identified as a benefit so a lot of work has been done to improve processes. However, we have processed ourselves to death in several areas. Too many processes and controls when they aren't needed just to say the process has been changed with little real measurement of if the change was positive.

Staff is aging in IT. Many of the key resources are either already at retirement age or very close. Key people have been retiring at an alarming rate as the economy has been improving. industry pressure to do more with less staff have worked against bringing in replacement staff in time to get them trained and up to speed. It also causes problems because some of the senior are twice as productive as junior staff that hasn't completely developed making a one to one replacement not equivalent..

Advice to Management

Comerica is highly critical of their managers. Most tend to focus performance reviews on the few things that went wrong and forget about the thousands of things that went right. This is common to the IT corporate culture. It would improve moral and productivity to focus more on achievements than just misses alone.

Advancement in management is almost non-exsistant for the past several years. Most new managers have been hired from the outside because internal managers and staff are rarely seen as acceptable candidates for promotion versus outside staff without a background at Comerica.

reviews filtered by
  1. Bank Opportunity

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Houston, TX

I worked at Comerica part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to get my experience in banking with Comerica Bank. I recommend people to work for a great company that gives back to their employees.

Cons

I cannot really complain about Comerica Bank. Overall, was highly satisifed working at Comerica.

2. You can be what you want to be

Former Employee - Vice President in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Vice President in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Comerica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is only limited by your ability to look for it.

Cons

Limited openings sometimes if you want to stay in the came career track.

Advice to Management

Allow people who are "chomping" at the bits to move ahead.