Good Work Environment

Current Employee - Manufacturing Floor Employee in Claremont, NC
Current Employee - Manufacturing Floor Employee in Claremont, NC

I have been working at CommScope

Pros

Friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable co-workers
Excellent supervisors who provide as much information, support, and problem resolution as they can
Safe and clean work environment (within reason - it's a manufacturing facility, so some hazards and detritus from processes to be expected)
4-on/4-off 12-hr work schedule for floor employees

Cons

No sense of job security due to history of layoffs, closing of US plants, and opening of facilities in cheaper labor markets (i.e. China and India)
As in most companies today, the pervasive impression that next quarter's profits for investors, and officer's salaries/bonuses, are paramount, despite (or perhaps as a result of) assertions to the contrary

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate and undervalue your employees. Most work hard, strive to exceed standards, and take pride in the work they do and the products they create. We boast about how much quality product we expeditiously produce and berate ourselves for our errors and scrap. We're a fiercely loyal bunch, often refusing cable projects and services where CommScope products aren't used. We'd like to see some of that loyalty returned in the form of "greater good" thinking instead of strictly "greater profit" thinking.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Wow, just wow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I have been working at CommScope

Pros

You don't have to pay for parking (surprising for as cheap as this company is!)
    Cafeteria is quite nice
    It's a paycheck

Cons

They say that Carlyle is good at cost-cutting... it's hard to believe there is any more costs left to cut once the good ole boy machine (aka - everyone knows that is Hickory!) got rid of them.

This used to be an awesome company to work for (when it was Andrew). Now, manager's work you like crazy to make THEM look good and they never give the recognition which you are do after making them look good. Manager's didn't necessarily change per se - I mean, some did, - but rather the Hickory mentality slowly trickled in the doors of Andrew :(

I hope that the machine in Hickory is rocked to it's very core once Carlyle takes over and they get a taste of their own medicine! Perhaps they'll even close down Hickory - that would be sad............... all those VP's applying at Wal-Mart and Wendy's.........

Advice to Management

Stop acting like dictators and start acting like manager's and recognizing that the people on the lower levels are WHY you are WHERE you are in your career.

You've got to be Kidding...

Current Employee - Information Technology in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Joliet, IL

I have been working at CommScope

Pros

It's a job... the only adventure is wondering how it got this bad.
    there are some great people here with their heads in the right place, but they are in the minority.

Cons

If they want to make your job miserable, they will find a way, ask any factory worker.

Some managers only point out the bad... never the good.

The merger with Andrew was awful. Andrew was clearly the better company/mgmt. of the 2 to work for.

Every year they degrade a benefit... just enough to upset you.

People in hickory come off as arrogant.

Advice to Management

I will not give these mgmt types my expertise... they can go fly a kite... better yet. go golfing... they do that well...