Commerce Bank

A great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank

Pros

I did not realize how truly dysfunctional my previous employer was until I came to Commerce and saw the complete opposite end of the spectrum. I'm a recent hire, in the interview process I spoke with 5 different people at different management levels. The overriding message I got was that people really like to work here. Now that I've been working at Commerce for a few months, I get it. At my old company there was a lot of lip service given to respect and dignity of employees but that was it. Commerce on the other hand, does it instead of just talking about it all the time. Management treats employees well, employees treat each other with respect, and there's a true sense that we're all working toward the same goals. There's also a refreshing focus on ethical values. I feel that regardless of level, every employee is made to feel as though they have a voice. No company is perfect but Commerce is really a great place to work.

Cons

Base pay is a little below market value. There is bonus opportunity to supplement base pay however. For me the work environment and work/life balance afforded by my position outweigh the higher pay somewhere else.

Commerce has great employees because they are treated with respect and dignity and feel as though their voices are heard. Don't lose this focus.

94 Other Employee Reviews for Commerce Bank (View Most Recent)

Overall, a great place to make a career

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Commerce Bank

Pros

The firm has a great work life balance that allows individuals to work at their own pace and is a good place to work for people that have families.

Cons

Overall, this isn't a place for high potential employees. Management is not geared up to promote the most promising individuals rapidly enough.

Seek ways to reward your best talent and improve the ability to move up the corporate ladder and make raises easier to attain for high potential employees.

Decent place to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Commerce Bank

Pros

good work environment
    excellent benefits
    pay structure better than most other positions in this industry
    good work/life balance
    supportive of community programs
    job stability - the company is very conservative and didn't accept any TARP funds during the economic crisis

Cons

if you don't work in the St. Louis or Kansas City offices, you feel like an outsider
    could use a better training program

management could communicate to their direct reports better
    training programs could be better
    sometimes the conservativism is a little extreme

There are newer employer reviews for Commerce Bank