There are newer employer reviews for Commonwealth of Massachusetts

you get out what you put in, ignore co workers who have been in the state system too long and do not work/work hard

Current Employee - Recreation Therapist in Tewksbury, MA
Current Employee - Recreation Therapist in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

easy to get time off when needed
core group of good co-workers
if you are willing to work hard and make things happen you are given freedom to do so

Cons

many have "state worker" attitude, protected by union
hard work is not rewarded, and is discouraged by people who had been there too long

Advice to Management

higher up management is good, the lower level direct supervisors of individual departments not great

reviews filtered by
  1. horrible bosses

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

Time off. they give you 13 holidays

Cons

Everything, its like working in a prision. They watch every move you make. As soon as you get off your seat they break out a stop watch and time you how long you were gone for lunch break etc...

Advice to Management

Get a clue, Moral is very important and you need to stop treating your employee like children and treat them like IT professional like they are.

2. Mixed

Former Employee - Judicial Law Clerk in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Judicial Law Clerk in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Pros

The judges for whom you work and draft their opinions and other legal memoranda are phenomenal. The other leadership was often lacking. We were also under a budget crunch and a hiring freeeze and there have been no hires since our class in Sept, 2008.

Cons

The administration did not really know much about the day-to-day work that we did, but that is okay because the best people who were in a poition to review your work were the judges themselves. Since leaving I am very frustrated at trying to get a good review of my work, which was OVERWHELMINGLY very good to excellent according to the judges.

There are newer employer reviews for Commonwealth of Massachusetts