Commonwealth of Massachusetts

There are newer employer reviews for Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Postive workforce

Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA
Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

salary, benefits, clean environment, ability for advancement

Cons

investment in employee stressors., suicide prevention

engage in positive dialog to increase awareness of and prevention of employee burnout

122 Other Employee Reviews for Commonwealth of Massachusetts (View Most Recent)

Lack of professional respect and poor compensation

Former Employee - Attorney for the MA Committee for Public Counsel Services in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an independent contractor, representing indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, I could set my own hours, which allowed for some flexibility. However, as an attorney I, of course, had to meet the demands of representing my clients and our professional standards.

Cons

Contract attorneys, who represent indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, are paid very, very poorly. I understand that it's taxpayer money, but the micromanagement that goes into overseeing the attorneys by the Committee For Public Counsel Services is overly burdensome and time consuming. Everything must be justified and everything is questioned, from billing to professional judgments made in representing clients. I don't know of many (any?) contract attorneys who wouldn't rather be practicing law in another setting, no matter how dedicated they are to providing equal justice for the indigent.

Heed the recommendations of the Massachusetts Bar Association Blue Ribbon Commission on Criminal Justice Attorney Compensation, whose report was issued in May, 2014. It can be found on the Massachusetts Bar Association website. Search for attorney compensation. The report will come up at the top of the list.

Interesting job, but not enough money.

Current Employee - Secretary in Barnstable, MA
    Current Employee - Secretary in Barnstable, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many of my coworkers were friendly and helpful. Benefits were good including insurance and days off.

Cons

Not enough room for growth as there are few positions to advance to. Salary is very much lacking. I found the heirarchy to be frustrating. Not enough training.

There are newer employer reviews for Commonwealth of Massachusetts