Communications Test Design

www.ctdi.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Communications Test Design

Long hours with many projects

Former Employee - Programmer in West Chester, PA
Former Employee - Programmer in West Chester, PA

I worked at Communications Test Design

Pros

Co workers are all nice people willing to share system and technical knowledge.

Cons

Too many projects assigned to too few people making for long work hours. Old grungy office settings create a dismal working environment. To move up the ranks, one has to be an employee there for years if you can survive the layoffs. Too many layoffs laying off too many people. Too many people to report to.

Upper Management only seems concerned about their bonus checks.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Communications Test Design (View Most Recent)

Not worth the time or effort

Current Employee - Referb in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Referb in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Communications Test Design

Pros

Temp work. It was a gig that put money in my pocket during a tough economy while i was looking to start that a career in the industry i studied towards when I was in college. For some people there is a chance of being hired on, albeit that chance is slim. those are about the only pros i can think of...

Cons

-I was a temp worker and the sectionheads (who are the lowest of the low when it comes to the chain of command) are on a powerbinge who loved to instill fear reminding you that all they have to do was call the temp agency to replace you. Sometimes they would make promises, like they will "hire you soon" just to keep you around, but if you know that the comany can barely pay its own venders (credit holds across the board) then what are the chances of them hiring you and expending the wage expense.

- your co-temps, they are a rag-tag group and sometimes hard to be around.

-awful pay

-repetitive work

-Frequently laid-off and rehired due to cyclical droughts of on-hand work.

-Family run company, and its thier way or the high way and not always open for suggestions.

-Spineless HR. They are terriffied of thier own employees and rarely will just fire incompitent workers, that way in order to avoid lawsuits and acusations. Usually the problem workers are just moved to another branch to avoid further issues. Often they will clean house with sweeping layoffs, usually then, they will get rid of the incompetant workers.

- Top heavy Corporate Structure. Everybody is a sectionhead, manager, or supervisor that is in charge of something. Even if its the smallest area of operation. this leads to a contradicting orders and an overall communication break-down.

-Take the time to treat the temps better and they will be more feel more valued, that way you will avoid a Quality Control issue and in turn have a better relationship with the clients (i.e. Comcast Verizon, Cox, Nortel)

- Dont be afriad to fire people becuase they are incompitent, they drag everyone else down with them.

Do Not Work Here.

Former Employee - Receive Manager in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Receive Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at Communications Test Design

Pros

When it comes to 3rd party repairs of telecom equipment, Communications Test Design is the only show in town. As a result all of the big players (Comcast, Verizon, Nortell, etc.) all use CTDI to repair their equipment. So as long as CTDI is the only one, they will always have business.

Cons

There is absolutely no chain of command here at this company. Anything below the VP level is crazy and confused. When I was there I had one official boss. Besides him, there were two others who had almost nothing to do with what was going on in my area. These two could order around my boss and his boss also on a whim (which they often did). These two guys had the interpersonal skills of either a small child who was put in charge of an operation without any knowledge, training or real world skills and the other is an IT guy. Neither had the temperament or knowledge to do the jobs they were supposed to be doing, let alone work with actual people on a shop floor.

Even though I asked weekly, the entire time I was there I could not get anybody to tell me exactly what my job expectations or responsibilities were. As many times as I asked I couldn't get one for the supervisors that I was in charge of and I knew for a fact my boss couldn't get one for himself either. This lack of listed responsibilities, would I have stayed a full year, would have then affected any sort of annual review process. How are you supposed to be evaluated by your superiors on your work over the last year, reward success and plan for improvement if you have no base line? In the end this wouldn't have mattered much because guess what? There is no annual review process here! In fact when I asked my boss if he was given a 90 day review to tell him how he was doing, he literally laughed at me.

As for the work being done at CTDI, even though they are the only company that really do what they do, they will do absolutely ANYTHING to get more business. This would include the innovative tactic of literally telling any potential client they can do whatever they ask, even if the task does not allow for them to make money. No thought at all is given to whether or not taking on a new process will make the company money or not. None! As a result there are now several money loosing, non-standard processes that exist at CTDI. And when there, on several occasions I saw new processes enter the building that appeared to have been thought about just as hard as any of the previous ones. On one had it is a bonus for your business to quickly adapt to new opportunities. But I would not call walking into a warehouse floor and saying that you have 5 days to move your operation to put in a new one is a good thing. As soon as we jumped at the demand to do this (and that is all it was, just a demand without any instructions, guidance or direction), all I heard about for next few weeks was how poorly the move was conducted. Again, no guidance, just the same no interpersonal skill having individuals running around butting there heads into areas where they don’t' belong making demands.

Finally, there is HR. This company has absolutely the most spineless HR department I have ever seen! There is a complete lack of performance standards in any department and it sure seems as if they like it that way. In any and all attempts I made to contact HR about the disciplinary process, I was either rebuffed or ignored. In fact, even though I made numerous attempts to contact HR managers to discuss the disciplinary process, the only time I actually got to sit down with them was they day I was being let go.

Clearly define your chain of responsibility. Having more then one boss is bad, having more then two is worse. It is okay to have a boss and a boss’s boss and so forth but to have ambiguous bosses that can make demands of departments they are in charge of is a terrible way to run a business.

Create codified job responsibilities for employees. How can you expect people to do what you want them to do if they don't know what you want them to do? This is very basic level business school stuff. I'm almost embarrassed to be making this suggestion to 40 and 50 year old men when I'm sure any first year 23 year old MBA student would obviously know this fact. And for god's sake, have an annual review process. I can't imagine how terrible it would have been come end of year one and there was no logical way to determine compensation.

There are newer employer reviews for Communications Test Design