Community Health Systems

www.chs.net
There are newer employer reviews for Community Health Systems

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Engineer in Brentwood, TN
Current Employee - Engineer in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great teams, qualified people, good work environment.

Cons

Plenty of work but justifying resources seems to be an up hill battle. Still maturing as a company often a lot of unnecessary paper work.

Develop processes to make work intake smoother and more productive. Listen to team members and develop staff stay competitive with the market.

231 Other Employee Reviews for Community Health Systems (View Most Recent)

So that's how you reward hard work and dedication?

Former Employee - Home Care Representative in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Home Care Representative in Scranton, PA

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about the Industry. Some of the people I worked for were top notch as well.

Cons

Im at a loss for how I was treated here from the very beginning. Digging in and commiting to extra work when my team needed someone to step up and then being tossed like a piece of trash was humiliating to say the least. Shame on you...And the endless excuses not to pay you commissions and bonuses.... Some of us have families to support. Our hard work should be compensated appropriately

I don't understand why so many companies do not recognize the people that really try to make a difference. I hope you change the way you are doing business here. The reputation you are building is terrible. That will drive away the best talent in the Industry

A difficult place for contractors and project managers

Former Employee - Project Manager in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Healthcare is a popular industry in Nashville, and having healthcare experience on your resume is valuable. Depending on the area you work in, there is a reasonable amount of work/hours.

Cons

Being a contractor at CHS is difficult. I would not recommend it. A very clear distinction is drawn between FTEs and contractors. Management takes great pains to emphasize that being an FTE is much more desirable than being a contractor. Contractors are considered to be expendable and are often cut on zero notice. This attitude is hard to understand, because historically there has been a great dependence on contractors at CHS, with contractors outnumbering FTEs by a large margin -- particularly in IT. A number of FTEs are coasting due to the management philosophy that FTEs will never be laid off, only contractors.

CHS has had explosive growth by acquisition in the past few years. Management in general, and IT management in particular, is geared toward a much smaller company. There is micromanaging in some cases (any expenditure, including waste baskets and white boards, must be approved by upper management) and ignoring large problems (lack of resources to accomplish the approved projects).

A PMO is greatly needed, as project managers (my experience is in IT) very loosely follow rules set by a committee. No oversight once the project is underway, with the exception of some weekly statistics that are largely meaningless, measuring the number of tasks accomplished vs. the number scheduled for a given period (no accounting for the complexity or length of the task). Resource planning is nonexistent, and many projects are stalled due to a lack of resources with the necessary skills. This is slowly being recognized as an issue but not yet dealt with.

This could be a great company to work for; they need to create the structure of a large company, without excessive bureaucracy. Those in management not prepared to operate in a large organization should be replaced, or at the very least, retrained. A PMO should be established and projects run with reasonable schedules and goals, with meaningful measurements. If you employ contractors, treat them with the same respect you would require from them -- honoring contracts. At the very least, provide adequate notice when terminating before the contract is up, as you would expect if a contractor leaves before the contract ends. Terminating without notice is not good business practice (contractors have found out they were cut by coming to the office and having their badge not open the door) becomes known, and it will be more difficult to get quality help in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Community Health Systems