Community Health Systems

www.chs.net
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Community Health Systems

Started out ok but steadily downhill

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Huntsville, AL
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers except for management, average wages, average benefits, not much else to be thrilled about, feels like a job and not a career

Cons

Paycuts, 0.5% raises, dirty facility, do more with less, management and administration more concerned about $ than patient care and employees, raises and bonuses to those in home office on the backs of employees

Listen your people "in the trenches" you just might learn something

249 Other Employee Reviews for Community Health Systems (View Most Recent)

We will say that we are" Very Satisfied" with our jobs !, or by gosh they will give us something to be unhappy about !

Current Employee - Caregiver in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Caregiver in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff members in my hospital try hard to make it not only a pleasant place to work, but a hospital we are proud to be a part of. Our hospital also is involved in some good community programs. I like my community, and I like my hospital. I just can't always approve of who makes the decisions on how it will be run.

Cons

We have a benefits package that costs us more and gives less each year. They have come close to bullying us for 2-3 years to get us to say how "satisfied" we are with the company and to that end they are willing to do allot for us, just as long as it doesn't cost much.
    Almost every process that we use each and every day from how we take care of our patients and the subsequent documentation, to the staff's continuing education has become much more difficult and time consuming since being acquired by CHS. I do not have the list of major stockholders in front of me but I would be willing to bet my paycheck against Wayne's that his name as well as those of the rest of the company's senior management are close to the top of that list. I say this because that always seems to be the true corporate mission, to maximize profits to the stockholders at all cost.
    Last December they decided to pay a $0.25 per share cash dividend to stockholders while every year we get minuscule merit increases if we get an increase at all. We have never had a cost of living increase even though our cost of living has skyrocketed and if we ask for a market analysis comparing our salaries to those at comparable hospitals we are told that they did not budget for any increase, so what would be the point. Now the latest in a long line of reasons why I am so "satisfied" is that I was just informed that they have arbitrarily decided to change the way our shift differentials are payed. This means that even though I will work the same 12 hour shifts that I have worked for years, I will get payed about $ 2000.00 less per
    year. I wonder how much Wayne's paycheck is being cut ? I am sure if I said all of this to any of the senior management from Nashville on down to the administration of my own hospital, they would be quick to tell me that in this economy I should just be thankful that I have a job at all.
    To this I would respond that I believe that they and most of the rest of their 2% are most responsible for the shape of our economy. I guess that's just one more reason I should thank them right ? To think, I used think that Columbia Health Care was bad to work for.
    As far as the question below about the corporation's business outlook goes. Here is what I believe. This corporation will make huge profits for it's stockholders...no matter what it takes.

We all here about large corporations who's profits are through the roof because they do everything they can to help their employees succeed in life and be happy and truly satisfied in their jobs. They look forward to going to work because it is fulfilling. I don't understand why more corporations don't adopt this business philosophy instead of an atmosphere of passive aggressive cajoling, bullying and fear.

Revolving door in IT

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Slightly above average pay for Nashville area, however there are other enterprises in Nashville that pay more.
    Experience with a large enterprise that spans the USA.

Cons

Vicious culture; seems to come from the top down (CIO)
    Back-stabbing environment;
    Management and Executive leadership deaf
    Zero-to-poor communication from VP level and down.
    You'll do fine if you're a YES-MAN (or yes-woman)
    My management would not reply in writing to:
      writing for time-off requests
      training requests
    It's a THROW YOUR NEIGHBOR UNDER THE BUS culture

There are reasons why you have a 55% annual turnover rate. Ask those who leave, and you may discover why.

There are newer employer reviews for Community Health Systems