There are newer employer reviews for Community Health Systems

Contract Analyst

Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Franklin, TN
Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good co-workers; nice office building.

Cons

Lack of leadership; no incentives-work hard & you just get more work; minimal merit increases; management does not know what is going on; waste too much money on expense accounts (travel); nepitism; leadership is worried about themselves not their team/department as a whole; leadership not approachable, especially w/new ideas; poor technical support; "Old-Boy Network".

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Promote within department/company. Get rid of the "you can only get a 10% pay raise if you go to another job" rule. Get rid of the non-producers in your departments. Have mandatory leadership classes, etc. Share information.

reviews filtered by

Quite disappointed (IT Professional)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- IT Specialists and below (e.g., Application Analysts, etc.) are very enjoyable to work with, very motivated, and willing to learn; some of the most driven and intelligent folks I've worked with are the 35 years old and under IT staff members
    - When allowed to focus, our IT staff performs as a cohesive unit
    - Facilities staff can be great to work with, such as developing applications that meet their patients' needs

Cons

- Oftentimes, the phrase "fast-paced" is tossed around with respect to the CHS culture; this is simply untrue in the general sense of the phrase. It is only fast-paced in the sense that it is disorganized, chaotic, and difficult to focus on any given task for more than a couple of hours at a time. It is not an environment conducive to meeting deadlines that are already demanding without the extra headaches.
    - The upper echelon of management does not demonstrate an understanding of IT in the year 2013 and its effects on ROI. Best practices and standards are useless to try and push. Some current technologies are literally impossible to implement using the current software infrastructure. Current processes are literal roadblocks to successful application development that involved little if any input from the engineers themselves.
    - Somewhere along the line, management forgot that hospitals are not the driver for our jobs, which is frequently touted. It is the Patient, and the fact that humans (as patients) get sick. Without human nature, hospitals wouldn't exist, ergo our jobs in healthcare wouldn't exist. Forgetting about that bottom rung of the ladder is partially why CHS IT is so lacking. Perhaps if management were to focus on the patient, the absolute necessity of up-to-date software and smart security would become more obvious.
    - Frequently, you'll hear upper IT management mention that CHS is not an IT solutions development shop. This is true. We just so happen to farm out most of the IT to contractors and then we have to maintain the subpar, minimally documented code. Either that, or we're told to deliver a nearly total solution with out of the box COTS products. Sorry, out-of-the-box COTS products get you 80% of the way there. 90% solutions don't just magically appear, and when priorities change in the middle of (literally) every development cycle, you'll never achieve it.

Advice to Management

Reconsider who is leading information technology in the company, from the very top to the very bottom. Seriously. Time just passes folks by and in every person's life, it becomes time to move on before serious morale and "visionary" damage is done. I can't stress this enough. The attrition rate is horrible in Corporate IT right now (some places are worse than others), and morale is low based on my anecdotal experience. I threw myself at this job with everything I had, expecting nothing but to implement positive changes to the company and its culture. Less than a year in, I am completely burnt out fighting fights that need never be waged in a business that wants to do things top-notch.

Turn around and find an Honest company

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office I worked in was like family
    Until June 2013, I enjoyed my job

Cons

Poor salaries, no employee recognition except negative
    Management was terrible and the managers they
    Hired had NO management skills. Everyone worked in fear of losing their job if they didn't like you

Advice to Management

CLEAN HOUSE. JUST LIKE WE NEED TO DO IN WASHINGTON!!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Community Health Systems