Community Tax

www.communitytax.com
  www.communitytax.com
There are newer employer reviews for Community Tax

It's a great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can be successful if you want to be, it's up to you. It's a sales job, so it's what you make of it. They provide the tools and it's up to you to use them. The company makes it fun and competitive. The owners are nice. The new downtown office is nice and conveniently located. I enjoy working here.

Cons

They expect you to do your job and work hard but what company does not expect that. I really would not want to work for a company that did not expect their employees to work.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Community Tax (View Most Recent)

Great opportunity and fantastic people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Community Tax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work in this company are fantastic. They are professional but they also know how to have fun. I have never worked with such an amazing group of individuals. The atmosphere is also almost family like. It's a big company, but we work together in addition to socializing. Management will listen to suggestions from the employees. Employees are allowed to make substantial contributions to the company's policies and procedures. And hard work and loyalty are rewarded.

Cons

The company is growing very fast and so change can be challenging. But those that rise to the challenges are rewarded. So really, this is not a con.

Continue your open door policy and continue to reward employees that contribute to your growth.

Not recommended except for those desperate for a paycheck or experience

I worked at Community Tax full-time

Pros

* They offered me a job when the job market was horrible.
    * Learned some stuff and was able to get experience to move on to better things
    * They were mostly "hands off" (at least for me) as long as my "numbers" were up to par

Cons

To indicate how bad this place was, I started looking for a new job within weeks of starting here.

* Salary - The pay was insultingly low. They entice you with the possibility of raises after 6mo and 1yr. What they leave out is that making it to 6mo feels like an eternity at this place. After 6mo I was an old timer here. The economy is still down in the dumps and they know they can pay people like cr@p because they need jobs.
    * Benefits - I suppose technically they have benefits, although they were quite poor. If you never had benefits before you may be excited at the prospect of benefits. If you have had them before you will be severely disappointed.
    * Facilities - The facilities were cutting edge, for perhaps the 1970's. Some days it might be 60 degrees in the office, other days it might be 85. Not acceptable for an office environment. The bathrooms were another issue as there weren't enough of them.
    * Treatment - I was personally treated fine, but know this isn't universally the case. Only issue they really cared about were "numbers" and how productive you were. If you were in line with what they expected they were good with that and didn't micromanage. If your numbers were low, then you could expect to be called out in staff meetings and made to answer why your numbers were low. They didn't really care why numbers were low, just the fact that they were low really irked them. If you were sick...oh well. If you had some difficult and time consuming clients...too bad.
    * Management - Some of senior mgmt really only seemed to care about the bottom line. They didn't give the impression they wanted to be "liked" and didn't care if anyone liked them at all. What they cared about were numbers, because your numbers equaled money for them. Yelling, screaming, door slamming, passive-aggressive emails, these were all the norm. Other members of mgmt actually seemed to care and want you to be successful and learn and grow professionally.
    * Staffing - Overall this was not a positive place. Never before have I seen so much attrition in a work place. You might work with someone for weeks and then all of the sudden they would be gone and you wouldn't know what happened to them. Others sometimes only lasted a few days. Finally, because they pay was so low, there was never any incentive to stay and zero loyalty. Even a small raise or better benefits were worth jumping ship over.
    * Hours - Odd to be in an office situation where there are still set hours and you can't start before a certain time because the office was locked. Didn't have to work a ton, but many, many times I would have preferred to start before 9am so I could leave before 6pm. There were a few times I "only" worked 45 hours in a week and others worked more and I was called out. I didn't "drink the kool-aid" and feel guilted into working more though.

** I severely question all of the positive reviews. These people certainly don't seem to have worked at the same place I did.

Happy employees who feel valued, treated with respect, and compensated fairly will show loyalty and be better employees in the long run.

Community Tax Response

Jul 15, 2014HR Manager

 Upon reading the two recent reviews dated July 6th and June 30th (which I believe were in fact written by the same person), I felt compelled to respond to them as both an owner and managing partner ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Community Tax