There are newer employer reviews for Compass Group USA

Hard Work, Moderate Pay, Borderline Unsafe Conditions

Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting pay was $9 which wasn't bad at the time. Possible room for advancement, which really only meant more work, more stress and sometime not even better pay due to salary breakdown versus hours worked. Hourly employees actually had it better depending on the week.

Cons

Even that somewhat-blighted advancement was only likely if you fell in line with the right people, who happened to be the most corrupt people. The inmates caused trouble, but your colleagues and superiors often worked to cause YOU trouble if it served their purposes. Not a good environment - HUGE turnover rate for this and other reasons.

Pay your employees what they're worth BUT hire better people for the job in the first place. Management was a joke - at least 4 out of the 6 or 7 managers we worker bees floated between used their positions to get away with whatever they wanted while working us like dogs. Half of my co-workers were way too "slow" to be working in the prison environment, mentally and physically. It put more work on my shoulders even though in one case the co-worker earned more than me. He needed more direction and training than the inmates and was actually a significant safety risk. Meanwhile, I worked hard and fast for less money, and did as much overtime as it took to get the job done every day for 18 months and in the end got the shaft so my manager could cover up her love affair with an inmate. But the root of the problem was my supervisor's supervisor, who was no help and corrupt himself. I don't know if we can use names here but it wouldn't matter because they both ended up fired for shady dealings shortly after I quit.

reviews filtered by
  1. Lots of opportunity, but if you are not in the food sector - little support

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company boasts an impressive range of contracts, Fortune 50 companies, Education, Military etc, so depending on your area there are lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

The company is food-centric, if you are not in food related role, such as IT, AV, Finance etc. then the company has little support for you. All the policies, raises, company communications are geared for kitchen staff. The company has the contracts in place where it could start pushing other services like Janitorial, Reception, AV, etc but is not activly pursuing this.

Appoint a non-food business development leader to establish the for non-food related services at your existing contracts.

2. worked hard for 5 years and during the 5th year had tough P&L acct and got let go.

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

opportunities to learn and receive training exist. if you are hungry to learn there is a lot offered.

Cons

part of working in a large company is that you are just a number. if you do not work to stand out among your peers you can become stagnant.

we are in the business of providing great customer service and selling good food. the technology we are being asked to use to report our progress is actually becoming a burden to keep up with rather than a tool to support our businesses.

There are newer employer reviews for Compass Group USA