Hard Work, Moderate Pay, Borderline Unsafe Conditions

Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting pay was $9 which wasn't bad at the time. Possible room for advancement, which really only meant more work, more stress and sometime not even better pay due to salary breakdown versus hours worked. Hourly employees actually had it better depending on the week.

Cons

Even that somewhat-blighted advancement was only likely if you fell in line with the right people, who happened to be the most corrupt people. The inmates caused trouble, but your colleagues and superiors often worked to cause YOU trouble if it served their purposes. Not a good environment - HUGE turnover rate for this and other reasons.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth BUT hire better people for the job in the first place. Management was a joke - at least 4 out of the 6 or 7 managers we worker bees floated between used their positions to get away with whatever they wanted while working us like dogs. Half of my co-workers were way too "slow" to be working in the prison environment, mentally and physically. It put more work on my shoulders even though in one case the co-worker earned more than me. He needed more direction and training than the inmates and was actually a significant safety risk. Meanwhile, I worked hard and fast for less money, and did as much overtime as it took to get the job done every day for 18 months and in the end got the shaft so my manager could cover up her love affair with an inmate. But the root of the problem was my supervisor's supervisor, who was no help and corrupt himself. I don't know if we can use names here but it wouldn't matter because they both ended up fired for shady dealings shortly after I quit.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Disappointing

Former Employee - Night Supervisor in Westminster, MD
    Former Employee - Night Supervisor in Westminster, MD

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many chances to learn new technique or how to operate new kitchen equipment, as well as getting to experience new dishes.

Cons

The instillation I worked at lacked definitive leadership and communication. A general idea of what was needed would be said but management did not seem to share the same view point; as such misinterpretations and conflicting orders were abundant.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what goes on in all sections of the business. Just because there are good reviews doesn't mean everything is 'good'. Also pay more attention to your workers, they are the face and foundation of all your efforts.

2. Audio/Visual technician on Microsoft campus

Current Employee - Audio Video Technician in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Audio Video Technician in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the time there is little excess work to do, so getting a maintenance routine down is easy. They do provide regular training on the job, and also CTS certification training later on. Once CTS certified they give a raise. If you show a lot of ambition, it's very likely you will be given a promotion within a reasonable amount of time. Lack of ambition is not punished.

Cons

This particular division of the company is relatively new, so there are some procedures in place that are simply cumbersome and time consuming. We must report all our activities throughout the day.

Some managers play favorites and some coworkers play office politics.

There are uniforms which consist of black dickies pants, black shoes, and a provided polo.