Compass Group USA

www.compass-usa.com

old school management with good old boys running it or it was back then

Former Employee - Manager  in  Albany, NY
Former Employee - Manager in Albany, NY

Pros

they paid fairly well if the management liked you

Cons

your only as good as your management and its an old boys network or was back then - not a lot of growth

listen to your employees and be nice

Other reviews for Compass Group USA

They really do try but miss the mark

Former Employee - Outlet Supervisor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Outlet Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- Felt like my bosses cared when I had an issue. Always quick to respond to any questions or problems
    - Very big on diversity
    - I think upper management really tried to make work enjoyable/fun but didn't know how to relate to lower-level employees- often spoke to them like they were in elementry school
    - I believe this is a great company for those working at the corporate level. For those involved in operations, I don't thnk things are as nice.

Cons

- They told me they would promote me in 3 months and after 1 year it never happened
    - Have to wait a year and a half to apply to another position!!
    - Felt like directors and those not directly involved in the operation didn't care to hear our opinions and therefore didn't understand half of the things going on that they were criticizing

Spend more time talking to lower level staff and finding out how to reach them

Hard Work, Moderate Pay, Borderline Unsafe Conditions

Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Starting pay was $9 which wasn't bad at the time. Possible room for advancement, which really only meant more work, more stress and sometime not even better pay due to salary breakdown versus hours worked. Hourly employees actually had it better depending on the week.

Cons

Even that somewhat-blighted advancement was only likely if you fell in line with the right people, who happened to be the most corrupt people. The inmates caused trouble, but your colleagues and superiors often worked to cause YOU trouble if it served their purposes. Not a good environment - HUGE turnover rate for this and other reasons.

Pay your employees what they're worth BUT hire better people for the job in the first place. Management was a joke - at least 4 out of the 6 or 7 managers we worker bees floated between used their positions to get away with whatever they wanted while working us like dogs. Half of my co-workers were way too "slow" to be working in the prison environment, mentally and physically. It put more work on my shoulders even though in one case the co-worker earned more than me. He needed more direction and training than the inmates and was actually a significant safety risk. Meanwhile, I worked hard and fast for less money, and did as much overtime as it took to get the job done every day for 18 months and in the end got the shaft so my manager could cover up her love affair with an inmate. But the root of the problem was my supervisor's supervisor, who was no help and corrupt himself. I don't know if we can use names here but it wouldn't matter because they both ended up fired for shady dealings shortly after I quit.

There are newer employer reviews for Compass Group USA.

Worked for Compass Group USA? Contribute to the Community!