Chef

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Executive Chef in Denver, CO

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best Chefs around. very strong and we know what we are doing. Lots of things always going on and you can learn from other Chefs in the corporation. They will teach you the Morrison Way.

Cons

The Management is so poor They never give you the help you need to get the job done you are looking at 12 hours a day with NO support, it is now May we have been short since Dec by 2 FTE'S
As the Executive Chef you wash dishes, cook and serve food. Its hard to do your job when you are washing pots

Advice to Management

Get some help and get the DDS to under stand the needs and positions of all Staff members

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good organization

Current Employee - Catering Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Catering Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Possibility for advancement and transfer in various sister company

Cons

Need to know the right people to get promotion or transfer

Advice to Management

Upper management should visit units more often

2. Looks good on paper, but it never reaches down to the hourly level.

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to learn to run a business by the numbers. They will teach you how to read an operating ledger. Flash reports will help you understand where the problems are in your business.

Cons

Food Buy Forced shipments of sub-par food to meet purchasing goals. I understand you need to make money but how many times can I run Raviolis in a month when you drop ship 20 cases of raviolis to me. Then to add insult to injury Upper management lets you know you are not meeting inventory turns and you will be dinged on your yearly review because of the higher Inventory Turns. So my 2.5% raise went to 2.0% increase this year. You seem to forget the region did not meet their Coke bottled beverage Goals so you dropped shipped me 100 cases of Coke Product, and by the way you will have to take about 35 cases of Pepsi because we did not meet that case goal for the region either. Thanks to the drop shipments I now have become the Bubba Blue of Raviolis, I can do raviolis 200 different ways.

I would love to thank Compass Group for teaching me how to understand the operating ledger and Flash Reports. Unethical transfers and mystery cost centers. If you work in the Eurest world you live and breathe the Flash report and your operating ledger. You are only as good as your last statement. These are great tools and will help you understand what is going on in your business. It gets unethical when buried in your ledger are floaters being charged to your unit because the P&L accounts can’t afford to show the loss. Once I had a $400 dollar charge for Mulch show up on my ledger and when I asked my DM he got mad and I was told not to talk about it. Smallwares being purchased for one account and charged to another. Moving losses from P&L accounts to Subsidized accounts is unethical. Most upper management and controllers know what is going on. No one rocks the boat because everyone is making their numbers and happy they have a job.