Computer Sciences Corp

www.csc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Computer Sciences Corp

CSC is a typical large contractor that provides a broad array of employee opportunities at market competitive rates.

Current Employee - Network Engineering Senior Manager in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Network Engineering Senior Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Computer Sciences offers a rather broad array of career opportunities. The best reason to work for them is that they are balanced in most aspects one would expect of large scale contractors, not great and not terrible in any particular area. Good internal intranet with broad offerings for self-study. Market competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

The downsides of working at CSC is that the program an individual could be working for may be poorly managed. The top management tier at the corporate level will not have the proper perspective to help flailing programs in need of better management or resources. An employee is going to base the company on how good or bad the program manager is at being an effective leader.

Taking a look at metrics other than program profitability, such as attrition, customer and employee satisfaction as a means of rooting out where programs may need assistance.

3073 Other Employee Reviews for Computer Sciences Corp (View Most Recent)

Good Career Opportunities for Exposure to Reputable Efficiency-Oriented Computer Consultancy

Current Employee - Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Learn what it is like to maximize cost efficiency for clients while operating a computer services firm handling very large government entities and public companies. I was treated very well, and my opinions were listened to.

Cons

Heavy emphasis on accounting details at even the regular employee level, including daily call-ins to assign # of hours to individual projects for timekeeping purposes. Much individual employee effort is spent on just making sure timesheets are accurate for themselves and their direct reports. Also, many of my colleagues felt like they were just numbers, disempowered because their feedback was not valued. People in my area were actually leaving, voluntarily and in disproportionate numbers, to go back to college full time. Morale was a definite problem back in 2004 and, from what I hear, has not much improved.

First, do not wait until good employees start leaving the firm to acknowledge and deal with company-wide morale problems. Second, empower your first-line employees with the ability to do their actual jobs by moving a lot of the extraneous routine admin requirements (I keep thinking about those blasted timesheets everyone obsessed over all the time) to an admin level or to the supervisory or management levels. I myself spent copious amounts of time just training and retraining employees how to submit/revise/resubmit/code timesheets properly. Then there was the huge amount of revisions I seemed to constantly have to do anyway.

CSC is OK place to start a career.

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Computer Sciences Corp

Pros

Interesting projects for entry level consultants and new Associates have good access to training. CSC offers a variety of interesting projects in a number of different inudstries.

Cons

Salaries and "company name" are not competitive with better known consulting companies. CSC doesn't not have a very strong corporate structure. Junior level resources act like it is "us against them" when dealing with senior leadership. Senior leadership is missing an opportunity to distinguish CSC as a leader in business consulting.

Focus on strategic consultant. Broaden your associate consultants to focus on strategic consulting, regarless of their career path (technical, business or project).

There are newer employer reviews for Computer Sciences Corp