Computer Sciences Corp
2.9 of 5 2,448 reviews
www.csc.com Falls Church, VA 5000+ Employees

Decent resume point for entry level employees, but not a company to grow within

Woodlawn, MD

ProsEasy hiring and on-boarding process. They have facilities all over the place so it's easy to work near where you live. My day to day coworkers are very friendly and diligent and we always do great work for our customer. I'm lucky to belong to a small team with a culture of winning; I like to think that we are good in spite of upper management, not because of them.

ConsLow pay (I could make more delivering packages with UPS); expensive medical premiums; no opportunities for program-level employees to have any say-so or influence on the central company; stiff or non-existent raises; no room for advancement; overly strict/paranoid IT policies impede knowledge work.

The particular customer I'm serving seems to have less and less money each year, so we see forced layoffs on a yearly basis, and the company makes very little effort to re-seat employees whose job went away, they just lay them off. The customer's money drying up isn't CSC's fault, but it feels like each year is more arduous than the last, and as I keep getting selected to remain on the team for the next year, I get more and more survivor's guilt.

This isn't a place that you can work at as a 25-30 year career, because the company as a whole seems to be getting less and less business, laying off both direct and indirect employees, and adopting radical anti-employee policies in an attempt to keep the executives' payroll steadily increasing. At the macro level, padding the execs' pockets may be the ONLY thing the company actually succeeds at, but they do it at the expense of the little guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to make this company more agile, adaptive, and fully integrated into 21st century best practices. They still operate with a 1950s mentality, trying to keep every possible angle locked down and control absolutely everything. A stifling layer of policy that governs an employee's every move prevents innovation. This type of environment is soul-crushing for those who work in software, because software work requires the ability to do interesting things with your computer, install software on a whim, download and use open source libraries, and so forth.

Managers are so risk-averse that suggestions often get ignored because there is a non-zero possibility that something might go wrong. They would rather maintain the inefficient status quo.

The internal software that you have to use for day-to-day administrivia is slow, often broken, hard to use, and doesn't work on modern browsers. Employees were inexplicably given a sort of internal social networking and blogging site, but employees getting actual work done don't have time to contribute to it or they risk falling behind in their assignments. Management should either give employees 8 hours a week of self-directed innovation time like Google does, or stop with the toys for management like blogs and wikis that only other managers ever have time to read.

Lost their way

Operations Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Global firm, Clients, Colleagues, Decent pay - but raises have been historically low for the last… Cons: Lost their way from being a company known to caring about their employees to a company-centric firm only focused on profits. For the last… Advice to Senior Management: Find management who care about their assets - their people! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Cost cutting government contractor

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

I have been working at Computer Sciences Corp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Decent salaries; almost impossible to get fired when on a… Cons: Very expensive medical benefits; weak management; lacks innovation; behemoth body… Advice to Senior Management: Remember if you keep cutting benefits to please shareholders, the good people will leave. While firing bad employees results in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Computer Sciences Corp.

Worked for Computer Sciences Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Computer Sciences Corp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Computer Sciences Corp CEO Mike Lawrie. All reviews posted anonymously by Computer Sciences Corp employees.