There are newer employer reviews for Compuware

This is a work for IT consultants.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Software Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Compuware

Pros

Challenges and professional grows. Stable company.

Cons

Dependency on projects (sitting on the bench), dependency on clients

Advice to Management

More flexible schedule.

reviews filtered by
  1. Professional Services disappearing

Former Employee - Systems Designer/Developer-Distributed in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Designer/Developer-Distributed in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Compuware

Pros

Compuware used to be a good company to work for that respected its employees. The local PSD office still does and has a number of good people. The benefits are good. Compuware does provide access to some good online training. How good it is to work as a consultant depends primarily on your clients. I had many placements with clients that had interesting and challenging problems that gave me an opportunity to learn a variety of skills.

Cons

The clients with interesting and challenging problems are thin on the ground now. Compuware looks to be moving out of Professional Services. Expect this division to essentially go away.

Advice to Management

Retire, leave, get out of the way. Make room for new management with some vision and two scruples to run together.

Only sell for this company if you live in Detroit.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Compuware

Pros

Very strong technology. Good people throughout the corporation at all levels except top 5 execs.

Cons

In Sales you willl have to deal with the fact that there is no branding whatsoever. Compuwho? Compuwhat? Compuwhy? "No . . . Compuware!" was a typical initial customer call outside of Detroit. When selling to CIOs branding is very important. They risk their jobs by making poor technology decisions. It is easier to tell their boss "I went with the brand leader" or "Gartner has them in the magic quadrant." On this latter point CPWR changed their stripes and started working with the analysts in 2003 (too little too late, however).

Churn is the real problem at CPWR. I worked for them for three years. I had 5 bosses during those three years and saw 23 reps laid off, in a territory that holds 9 reps. That is close to 100% turnover in an industry that historically has 20%- 25%. Several of these reps had made their number when they were fired. On top of that it is very difficult to get paid your commisions. Average total earnings for reps was under $125K. Sales plans have "team bonuses" so if anyone on the team doesn't make their number the team takes a significant hit.

From 2000 - current the top sales officer in this company had no sales backgound whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming lack of branding on lazy sales reps. Hire a VP of Sales that has had a sales job sometime in their career. Stop the commision plan tricks (team bonuses). Let reps develop their territory, pipeline, customer relationships in order to sell.

There are newer employer reviews for Compuware