Con Edison

www.conedison.com

Stable company but not very progressive.

Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt's a stable company, even through the current financial crisis the company manages to turn a profit. In no other company will you have such job safety and there are decent benefits. Good place to land a career if you don't have a degree and don't plan on getting one.

ConsThe culture is very backwards, most likely because of the union vs management mindset. It is very resistance to change and mired with a heavy bureaucracy.

There is a saying in company,

There is a right way,
there is a wrong way
and then there is the Coned way.

And good luck trying to change that.

Management lacks soft skills in dealing with union workers. Try taking a few days off for a family medical emergency and you will be stonewalled by supervisors on policy and procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't lay all responsibility at your feet, the union is also to blame not changing with the times. But ask yourself this, if Conedison was in a more competitive market would it be able to survive?

ConEdision is an excellent place to work!

Senior Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros: The benefits are good and the salary is competitive. The work life balance within the company is comparitive to no other company I know of.… Cons: The work can be demanding and there is extreme criticism from media. The public opinion of the company is low but I believe this is… Advice to Senior Management: Keep the communication open and continue to recognize and reward… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

The best in the industry, but you better get use to the culture.

Operating Supervisor (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros: The pay is fair for the industry, but living costs are high in New York. If you like underground electric distribution, there's no where… Cons: Very structured and bureaucratically run. Sometimes, nepotism is rampant. The time requirments at the job can be very… Advice to Senior Management: Change is good when it comes to modernization and safety. But too much change all… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Con Edison.

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!