Con Edison

www.conedison.com

It is good, meaningful work with unique challenges, but could be more inclusive of experienced hires.

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsContrasted with other career choices, this is great for indivdiuals that need to stay close to home. The entire business is contained within driving distance. For those aspiring to drive change and improvement in a business, there is plenty of opportunity if you're able to persist and overcome resistance. Individuals love to talk about their jobs and share technical information. Although the benefit program has changed leaving some of the long-term employees upset, it is a terrific benefits package; people who have worked elsewhere truly appreciate it.

ConsMost employees including management are lifers and those are the ones receiving opportunities and rewards. It is a struggle to find any manager, director or VP promoted to the next level who has been with the company less than 10 years. External hires should be sure to get hired into the position they want because they will be there for a long time. Similarly, ideas from external hires are often disregarded, not rudely or overtly, merely ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting or staffing for new opportunities, consider whether selections may be biased by longevity. When benchmarking, include non-utilities, especially for non-utility functions. As more competitive threats are evovling in the marketplace, being the best utility may not be good enough.

Working for Con_Ed was a great experience

Electrical Safety Inspector (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: There is a great team of Supervisors and technical advisors… Cons: The 12 hour days, 7 days a week was killer. Advice to Senior Management: Make sure to communicate with Each of you workers under your care, including the 'vendors' aka consultants as I… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Public Affairs

Webmaster (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time for more than a year

Pros: If you're looking for a job where you can skate… Cons: People get promoted and placed in positions based on politics and not merit. It's very cliquey and if you aren't in the clique, you will… Advice to Senior Management: Invest in people who care enough about their jobs to change what isn't currently… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Con Edison.

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!