Decent place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

Good pay
Good co-workers
Management is supportive

Cons

Can be long hours
Can be a little dirty (truck exhaust)
Not much growth opportunity

Advice to Management

Keep on "trucking"

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

One of the better trucking companies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

Relatively good pay and stable benefits in an economy where neither are guaranteed. Utilization of technological advances to streamline work processes.

Cons

Upper management disconnect from working realities.

Advice to Management

Focus on results given rather than processes.

6 months. I'm Ready quit because of the hassles and no money.

Current Employee - Driver in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Driver in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

Clean terminals, a lot of nice people, mostly outside of headquarters, clean trucks. Good cafeteria in Joplin. Paid weekly. Highlight home time where ever you want to go. Some local dispatch guys will tell you all the loads and allow you to pick what you want. This is awesome when you get to pick what you want.It should always be that way. Forced dispatch sucks.

Cons

Always on hold with dispatch, road service, and shop for a long time. They will slap a service failure on you quick but never on a dispatcher for not responding to you or giving you the wrong address. They want to know when you start home time and when you will be coming back on duty. As you arrive on duty they never have a plan for you so you can sit for hours waiting for a load. Never can seem to get a preplan. They hide all pick up and delivery windows from drivers so its a game you have to play with them. If they say deliver by 8am if you say you can't them they come back and say O we have a window until Midnight or whatever. This game sucks. Maintenance shop in Joplin is so SLOW. They will hold you up for days. Best thing is to take your maintenance issues home so you get more home time. They are making great profits but still haven't given us a 401k. Was told in training we would make .30c until 30000 miles then jump to .32c. Well that change to 600000 miles.
    Home time is 2 day for 14 out but they somehow lose the request and get you home later. Medical insurance is not good for new hires. Its either a $2000 or 4000 Deductible until your 2nd or 4th year. No dental until your 2nd year. In my 6 months I have only had 2 weeks of 3000 plus miles and the rest has been 2000 and below. Dispatchers lie about everything and play dumb. I called HR to confirm a few things and even they couldn't believe what the dispatcher said. Shortly after me calling HR I got a phone call from my Fleet manager (dispatcher) with a whole new attitude on the correct policy. These games they play suck. Drivers are the most dedicated employees in the company. We live in a company truck 24/7 then get screwed around when we want to go home. You have to beg for more than 2000 miles. Drivers at any company should be treated better being that they are the dedicated ones in the end living at the company. Sign on trailer says It's Better Here. Hummm??? :(

Advice to Management

Company has so much potential to be the best. Great outer shell. Lots of freight. But VERY POOR planning from planners and dispatchers for your drivers. We sit to long waiting for loads with no pay. You ask use to help save fuel, but leave use sitting. I don't want to Idle trust me, I want to be rolling. You beg use to fuel at terminals or freight yards but offer us no incentive for doing this. I'd rather get free food and points by going to fuel stations. Pay Drivers their worth. Match home time of other companies like JB or Marten 12 out 2 off. Using OTR or Regional drivers for 4 or 5 hours for a local run 10 miles away and only paid $20 bucks is again poor planning. Local drivers should only get these. Make detention pay automatic, Pay layover pay starting after 12 hours not 48. Make us feel valued. Allow for service failures on dispatch as easy as you do on drivers. They fail me more often than I do them. President needs to get out of the office and be visible and interact with drivers weekly.