Con-way Freight

Don't drink the 5-star kool-aid

Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

About the only pro is that they allow some (limited, grudging) work from home. Most of their technology stack is very dated and often the interesting work is done by consultants.

Cons

The fifth star is you! Sounds like something you'd say at a child's birthday party. I work in the IT department in Portland, OR. Most of the senior management is weak, from the CIO (who is leaving soon) on down. To give you an idea of the environment, management announced it was laying of 300 people while standing under a banner promoting our Commitment (it's one of the stars!)...then scheduled a "Keep the Dream Alive" event for two months later. All infrastructure (~50% of IT) is going to India, and development is next. I suspect the IT department will be entirely outsourced in the next few years, so I wouldn't plan on much of a career at Con-way. If you join, expect 2.5% raise every year, meager bonus (which somehow is never paid), declining benefits, and a black hole on your resume...uh, yes, Mister Employer, I worked on 2001 technology from in 2010. Very much an old boys' network, who you know sort of place. Advancement to senior-level position is common but beyond that, forget it - and your salary is locked in place forever. Very untrustworthy management - e.g., "we're giving you a 5% pay cut that is strictly temporary", then "we're restoring half of it but I'm afraid the other half is permanent". Great place to work 10-15 years ago...pretty awful today, with abysmal morale. The best and the brightest have long since fled.

Drop the five stars, Quarterly Leadership, Collaboration Awards, Star Cards, decision making framework, LEAN, and the rest of that management fad mumbo jumbo. Get out of your offices.

242 Other Employee Reviews for Con-way Freight (View Most Recent)

Love Conway

Current Employee - FOS in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - FOS in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Con-way Freight

Pros

employees get treated with respect, management works well with everybody

Cons

long hours, and hard to work with other service centers when it comes to issues

Do not be afraid to remove somebody from a position that is incapable of doing the job.

Solid place to work...managment is stuck in thier was is the only way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Con-way Freight

Pros

resume builder, good perks for sales people

Cons

Con-way's way or the highway

be more open